furnace problems - condensation pump help!

Old 11-03-13, 10:17 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
furnace problems - condensation pump help!

Over the summer I had some problems with my condensation pump when the AC was on. The pump must have just been dirty and clogged because I took it apart cleaned it and ran some bleach and warm water through the pump and lines and it worked fine after that.

Now we have been running the furnace for approximately a month, and I went downstairs to change the furnace filter and there is water under the furnace. The first thing I checked was the pump and the reservoir was full of water. So I moved it a bit and the RUN light came on, but made no noise and pumped no water. I took the cover off and raised the floatey manually and again the run light came on but made no noise. I cleaned the pump again and put bleach in it, filled up the reservoir and it will still not pump water. I do not know what else to do, I am guessing the pump just needs replaced. Does this sound right? Or is there anything else I should check before I get a new pump. Also, until I get a new pump can I just remove the pump and put a bucket under the lines to catch the water and then dump the bucket daily? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 11-03-13, 12:25 PM
S
continued

I just got done messing around with the pump for awhile, and I got it to pump by manually raising the floaty. Ran bleach and hot water through the lines. Then I tried filling up the reservoir and the pump didn't kick on. I shook the pump a little bit and it kicked on and pumped water. I repeated this process a few times with the same results. Pump won't kick on when the reservoir is filled with water but when I manually lift the floaty or shake the pump a bit, it will kick on and pump out water. The floaty raises fine manually and there is nothing in the tank that is blocking in. It just doesn't automatically raise when the reservoir is filled. I do not understand why. Is this a common problem and does it just mean I need a new pump?

Old 11-03-13, 02:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Replace the pump with a similar unit.

It's not worth hassling with it. They are pretty cheaply constructed and generally not very repairable.

Old 11-03-13, 02:32 PM
S
fixed! at least for now ha

After doing some more research on these particular condensation pumps (diversitech cp-22) I found that a lot of people were having problems with the yellow foam floaty switches in these shriveling up and shrinking and because of that not working properly and I read somewhere about a guy who replaced the foam piece with a wine bottle cork. So I found a cork around the hose and cut it to size, replaced the foam piece with it and what do you know it works now. I filled up the reservoir a few different times and when it gets to the certain point it now pumps like it is supposed to. Saved myself the cost of a new pump for the time being.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: