kerosene odor from furnace

Old 11-03-13, 05:00 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
kerosene odor from furnace

i live in mobile home and have a Miller furnce with beckett burner that is fueled with kerosene. when the weather started turning cold i fired it up. i have a 200 gal tank in rear of home and was low on fuel. because of this i had to bleed every time to get it to kick on which was no real big deal. but i just recently had fuel delivered and filled tank. only had to bleed once more now starts each time. however after having tank filled i now seem to have strong kerosene odor in home. there is no odor outside near tank or around home and the air valve is tightened down well. any ideas where this odor might be eminating form and perhaps how to correct?

Old 11-05-13, 06:23 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
At least with gas furnaces, a kerosene odor is often produced when some chemical becomes entrained with the combustion air for the furnace. A variety of chemicals, often paint, can cause this.

That might be your problem, although a kerosene spill somewhere around the equipment is probably a better guess.

Old 11-05-13, 07:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
As S/P said, a small spill near the furnace is likely the cause but when you ran low, you could have picked up some junk (rust?) from the tank & fouled the nozzle.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: