Being taken advantage of?

Old 11-05-13, 06:40 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Being taken advantage of?

My furnace stopped working a couple days ago. I called for a repair person from my propane co-op. The two guys who came out said it was my igniter and they replaced that. Then when they started the furnace, the new igniter broke. Then they said it was the control box/panel. They had to order one of those. While they were working they noticed that some wiring looked a little screwy. They came back the next day and repaired the furnace with the new parts. They left in a hurry because I had to go somewhere and they didn't stay to make sure it was going to continue to run. So up to this point, this has cost me over $300. I came home and the house was cold. The furnace did start but didn't keep running. I called and they came out again. After checking everything they said the wiring was installed incorrectly and the polarities were reversed. It had ruined the new parts that were just installed. The technician said he was not going to tell the company about the wires and I could get the new parts under warranty. Then my niece went out to his truck to talk to him. He came back in and claimed he was on the phone with the company and they "overheard" her about the wiring and so he had to charge me for that and order new parts. He then charged me for another service call and for labor! If I let them come back and fix it again, it will cost for the new parts and more labor. I really think I am getting the shaft here. I am going to call and complain, but do I have a valid case? Shouldn't they have checked the electric to the furnace before they even started? It is a propane forced air furnace.

Old 11-05-13, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
Sure sounds like it.....

The furnace worked before they came right? Well up until you had a failure... So the wireing was correct before that I would assume... No one touched it right?

They absolutely should not charge for anymore service calls after the first one, and I would not pay for anymore parts. They are the repairmen and installed the items. They should of done a thorough inspection.

I would call and talk to the owner, get your money back and call another company... Sign a complaint with the BBB....

I bet they were fast talkers...

He came back in and claimed he was on the phone with the company and they "overheard" her about the wiring and so he had to charge me for that and order new parts.
Most likely they were not on the phone with the company. I never called the company of the parts I installed. My parts were supplied by my company and in out warehouse. I probably had 20 ignighters and 5 or so controlboards...

Sound like hogwash to me...

Old 11-05-13, 06:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
In my opinion, if they connected the new controls without checking the polairity, that's their fault. You shouldn't have to pay for either parts or labor for replacement of the control or ignitor nor should you have had to pay for a service call for dianosing the incorrect wiring.

Old 11-06-13, 03:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Always check the name tags of repairman before you let them work on your stuff!

If the repairman are Larry, Moe and Curly, you want to shop some more...

Unfortunately, it sounds very much like you had people of very limited competence.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: