Need Help lighting the pilot of an old gas floor furnace

Old 11-06-13, 10:21 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need Help lighting the pilot of an old gas floor furnace

Freezing out butts off! I know that the furnace works fine, we used it all last year, but the gas man turned off the pilot in the summer to save us on cooling. Unfortunately, the gas company won't come out for another three weeks...

I am hip to the concept of how to light it...it's just not lighting...what am I doing wrong? There are two metal shafts. the one on the left is labeled (in sharpie) with ON and OFF. If I turn it to ON I do smell gas. The other one has to be the pilot, right? I turned the pilot one to ON (on what I think is on, cuz it ain't labled) and tried to light (had to use a coat hanger to get match down close to pilot) but it didn't take. Am I doing this wrong?

Any advice? HOuse is 1930's...not sure how old furnace is...probably pretty old.

Old 11-06-13, 10:27 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I had one in my house until last year. I had a basement so I could go down underneath to light. The pilot knob had been disabled years ago and had what is called a Baso switch where it had to be held in until the thermocouple warmed up. I've also had to crawl in many of a crawl space in order to light them also.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: