Gas floor furnace pilot light won't stay lit

Old 11-08-13, 02:09 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gas floor furnace pilot light won't stay lit

Hey everyone, I'm brand new on this forum but judging by the quick and helpful posts I've seen on other threads on this board. I thought I'd come here and try to get some help.

As the title says, that's pretty much the whole problem. I'll give as many details as I can below. And I'll go ahead and say beforehand that I'm not too experienced with things like this, so if I don't follow along right away just be patient with me, haha.

I've got a gas floor furnace in my dining room that I use to heat my home during the winter. It is controlled by a thermostat on the wall, but aside from that I don't know much about it other than how to turn it on for the winter and off for the summer. I'm aware that there are different models and such but I am not positive on which one mine is, the closest thing I could find to it would be this (Sorry about posting links on my first thread) Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC: Payne Floor Furnace, floor furnaces, floor furnace This is the link to what I believe is the furnace I have. http://0.tqn.com/w/experts/Heating-A...or-furnace.jpg This is the link straight to the picture on the previous link.

I've lived in this house for 13 years, and it's worked fine every single winter. It hasn't had more than 3-4 months of use at a time, and I've never had problems. This year however, whenever I first tried to light it, the pilot light was weak, the burner would like whenever the thermostat was turned up. But as soon as the burner went out it would suck the pilot out and I would either have to relight it or turn it off for lack of patience.

So far, I've resorted to not lighting it anymore because I'm concerned that it is a safety issue. I've got a couple space heaters running but if I have to rely on those my electric bill will be insanely high, and I'm concerned that the pipes in my crawlspace will freeze and burst as well.

Any help or advice would be very much appreciate it. I'm willing to have it serviced but if at all possible I would like advice on how to fix the problem on my own, as I don't exactly have all that much money to spend. So do-it-yourself tips would be VERY appreciated. If you need more details just ask, and I'll try to provide them to the best of my knowledge.

Old 11-08-13, 02:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,059 Upvotes on 3,642 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Your second picture doesn't show anything helpful. You don't have a very common heating unit there so we need more information to help you. A make and model would be extremely helpful.
It sounds like the pilot orifice will need to be cleaned.

Some pics of your unit would be helpful too.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 11-08-13, 02:50 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I just looked for the make and model number, but I cant find one anywhere on it. Here's a picture of it though, if that will help. I'm fairly sure it's the same make and model of the one in the link I posted.

And here's a link straight to the picture, in case it doesn't show up in this post. For some reason I'm not seeing it in "Preview Post".
*Edit* - Nevermind, I fixed it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: