Carrier Furnace Gas Leak

Old 11-10-13, 02:49 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Carrier Furnace Gas Leak

I have a 1998-vintage Carrier. Smelled Gas, called the gas company, they told me it was a leaky gas valve. Replaced it with an aftermarket Honeywell valve, same leak. Replaced again (bad replacement?), still a leak coming from the valve. Even when the furnace is off (and had been off for two hours) registered 2000 ppm of gas in the first burner. No gas leaks before the valve itself from the pipe, the valve itself does leak and lets gas through. Any ideas? Can something else be shorting it out?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-13, 07:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I have seen gas detectors pick up "gas" when there was none present, as proven by a disconnected gas line. I've been told they will detect the odorant added to natural & LP gas and read it as "gas". I have had refrigerant detectors go absolutely crazy if a cob web got in contact with the sensor.

Old 11-10-13, 07:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I hear you on that Grady. However, my friend has a tool that measures gas pressure and he measured some gas pressure on the other side of the valve (outlet side) and it showed pressure when it should have shown zero.

Old 11-10-13, 08:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
If pressure was detected on the outlet (manifold) side of the gas valve & you have a furnace with either spark or hot surface ignition, there is certainly a leak thru the valve. There's nothing of which I'm aware, other than a bad valve to cause this.

I wonder if Honeywell had a bad batch of valves (extremely rare but not unheard of)? If it is other than a Smartvalve, I'd try a White Rodgers or Robertshaw valve if you can find one you can fit into the space you have.

You questioned something possibily shorting the valve. There are voltage & current readings which could be made to determine such.