Want Fan Only on my furnace

Old 11-10-13, 08:04 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Want Fan Only on my furnace

I have recently got a new pellet stove and i want to use the furnace fan to bring up the heat to the upper levels.

It is a PS90-DV natural gas furnace. Any suggestions?

Old 11-10-13, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
Is the pellet stove hooked to the duct work of your furnace??

Oh and welcome to the DIY forums..

Old 11-10-13, 08:10 PM
P
The pellet stove is not directly hooked up, and thanks.

Old 11-10-13, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator
To get circulation just turn the fan on at your t stat but I dont know if it will get you heat anywhere... Fan on with t stat down so furnace dont kick on...

Old 11-10-13, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator
You would need to hook the pelletstove fan to the furnace plenum if anything... And the stove needs to be near the furnace...

Old 11-10-13, 08:24 PM
P
well, i guess i didn't make my question specific enough. I don't have the fan option or any control of such on my thermostat.

The furnace and the pellet stove are pretty close.

Old 11-10-13, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator
Something like this you need to do.. Not sure if you need the fan kit...

Convert your pellet stove into a furnace!

Old 11-10-13, 08:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,051 Upvotes on 3,634 Posts
I wasn't able to find the wiring for your furnace. You're going to need to remove the thermostat and tell us how many wires are there and what they are connected to on the thermostat. Same thing at the furnace end of the wiring. The control box will be down in the blower cabinet.

If you just wanted a basic switch at the furnace end you could connect a single pole switch to the R and G terminals on the control board.

Old 11-10-13, 09:46 PM
Received 57 Upvotes on 50 Posts
The best thing you can do is put an a/c t-stat in the same room as the pellet stove, so when it gets significantly warmer than the rest of the house, the fan automatically comes on.

For that kind of setup to be effective, you would need a large ceiling level return air vent near the stove. (as well as sufficient supply - you don't want to put the room under negative pressure)

------------------
Wiring:

R furnace--------R heating t-stat
W furnace-------W heating t-stat
R furnace--(second wire on same terminal)------R cooling t-stat
G at furnace---------Y cooling t-stat

Set cooling t-stat a couple of degree higher than heating t-stat, system switch to COOL. Fan will cycle as needed to distribute heat from stove

Old 11-11-13, 01:17 PM
P
on the back of the thermostat, it has R-W-Y with only 2 wires that connect to R and W
The circuit board that i found behind the panel reads R-C-W-Y-G with the 2 thermostat wires hooked up to R and W

Old 11-11-13, 07:34 PM
^You'll have to pull a new t-stat cable (new 4+ conductor or add a second 2 conductor) and connect G.

Sounds like a new t-stat will be required.

-> that, or follow the advice in my previous post.

Old 11-11-13, 08:03 PM
P
is it possible to get a new thermostat and put it in the basement as i do not think i can thread another wire down. So i just have 1 attached thermostat with wires g-r-y connected?

Also would this thermostat need a fan only option on it?

Old 11-11-13, 10:13 PM
Group Moderator
You could use almost any thermostat. The easiest would be a battery powered one.

Then all you would need to do is to connect the R/Rc of the new thermostat to R on your equipment. Connect the Y terminal of the new thermostat to G on your equipment.

Put the thermostat in cool mode. When the temperature rises to the setpoint the fan will come on.

Thermostat doesn't need a fan option on it.

Old 11-11-13, 10:47 PM
The heating t-stat should stay where it is and continue to be used for that purpose.

A separate t-stat can be put in the basement to control continues fan operation.

Y is for a/c, while G is for fan -> all you need is R and G, but the G wire goes to to the y terminal on the t-stat. When the t-stat calls for a/c, the furnace will just "see it" as a call for continuous fan and respond accordingly.

During a call for continuous fan, the heat will still cycle as needed. You'll have to experiment with the setting so the fan only cycles on when the pellet stove is operating.

Old 11-12-13, 01:40 PM
P
is there any specific wires i should use when connecting the new t-stat?

I do have a spare thermostat that I'm planning on using. It does have the R W and Y. Should I just connect R to R, W to W and Y to G and the fan should automatically come on?

Old 11-12-13, 06:05 PM
Group Moderator
No....you don't want that thermostat turning on the heat. 24vac on the White will turn the furnace burner on.

Just use:
R on t'stat to R on furnace.
Y on t'stat to G on furnace.

That's it..... two wires only.

Old 11-12-13, 07:27 PM
P
ok, thanks, ill try it out

Old 11-13-13, 12:21 PM
P
i got fan only to work.

My last remaining question is that when ever i put the thermostat onto the connector thing on the wall, the fan automatically comes on. Is it possible to have the fan to only come on when it reaches like a certain temperature?

Old 11-13-13, 02:21 PM
My last remaining question is that when ever i put the thermostat onto the connector thing on the wall, the fan automatically comes on. Is it possible to have the fan to only come on when it reaches like a certain temperature?
Did you follow what PJmax posted ?

PJmax

You could use almost any thermostat. The easiest would be a battery powered one.

Then all you would need to do is to connect the R/Rc of the new thermostat to R on your equipment. Connect the Y terminal of the new thermostat to G on your equipment.

Put the thermostat in cool mode. When the temperature rises to the setpoint the fan will come on.

Thermostat doesn't need a fan option on it.

Old 11-13-13, 03:00 PM
P
yes, that idea would work, but first my thermostat is not a battery powered one, and there is no "cool mode". just a old thermostat that reads temperature and the setpoint where you want the heat at.

Old 11-13-13, 07:22 PM
As previously suggested:

1. Leave the old t-stat where it is (or was) with only R and W connected to control heat. (Y probably does something else on yours)

2. Purchase a new heat/cool t-stat and install it in the same room as the pellet stove. Wire it to the furnace with a 2 conductor 18 gauge t-stat cable as shown in my first post. Leave the wiring to the existing t-stat alone.

Set it to COOL. Set the temperature slightly above the normal temperature, so it only turns on when the pellet stove is operating.

The idea was never to use the existing t-stat. The existing t-stat is heat only and can't cycle the fan.

Old 11-13-13, 07:51 PM
You could use a *heat* only thermostat but that would mean some extra wiring and a double throw relay.

Old 11-13-13, 09:04 PM
...which costs as much as a manual cool/heat stat

Old 11-14-13, 05:45 AM
yes, that idea would work, but first my thermostat is not a battery powered one
I think your getting hung up with the mention of being *battery* powered one. If it were an electronic thermostat then a battery powered one would be a choice -- however, a manual thermostat -- like the round dial type --- doesn't need to be powered.

...which costs as much as a manual cool/heat stat
perhaps --- depending on the cost of the relay.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: