Trane XE80 - No Call For Heat

Old 11-11-13, 06:22 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Trane XE80 - No Call For Heat

Hi, having some trouble getting heat from my gas Trane XE80, have found several things on the internet, but nothing that seems to exactly match my experience. Here's what I can tell you:

1) The unit is 15 years old and is heating a 2 story 4br house
2) The unit has already been used this season and was working fine up until sometime last night
3) When moving the thermostat to fan or cool, the unit responds normally and runs fine
4) When moving the thermostat to heat in a temp scenario when it should be heating, there is a "click" sent from the thermostat, but no response from the unit
5) During #4, there is no change in the "no call for heat" indication on the unit, it continues blinking slowly
6) I have read/seen information about faulty White/Rodgers control panels on the unit, however, when I jump the unit with the R+W wires, it starts up normally, runs normally, and the panel indicates "call for heat"
7) I have put a jump wire in from R to W and the unit has been running normally for over an hour now with no indication from the panel for the solid light indicating it needs replaced.

Questions:
1) Is there really something wrong with the panel or is it back at my thermostat (or somewhere in between)?
2) Will running the furnace hot-wired like that cause any short term issues (I will turn it off at the fuse panel when things heat up too much)

Thanks in advance for any thoughts...

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-13, 06:26 AM
K
Sorry, should have clarified, the information I have read indicates that when jumping the unit, if the control panel needs to be replaces the light should go solid shortly after jumping and holding it. Mine is not doing that, it continues to show a normal "call for heat" indication, and done so for over an hour now with a jump wire in place.

Old 11-11-13, 08:18 AM
T
Don't control the furnace by the breaker. The red and white jumper need to separate and properly cool down the heat exchanger or damage to your furnace could occur if you do it too much. Did you jump the red and white at the stat and it works? If so, it's most likely a bad stat.

Old 11-11-13, 08:25 AM
K
Thanks for the response, I did not try to jump it at the stat, will try that next.

But something strange has happened since I posted. After the house heated back up to the temp indicated on the stat, it shut off (the jump wire is still in place on the R+W at the unit controller). I adjusted the temp upward, and kicked back on and then shut down again when heating reached the proper temp.

Old 11-11-13, 08:46 AM
T
As long as it's jumpered at the unit, the stat should have no control with it. Color me baffled for the moment. Adding, remove stat from wall and jumper there. It should run continuously until you remove the jumper. (still scratching my head of why the stat would over rule the jumper and open for ideas)

Old 11-11-13, 09:51 AM
K
I may not have had the jumper correctly seated, and must have jarred back whatever the short was in the stat without realizing it. I definitely had to jump it with a screwdriver earlier when it was down to 62 in the house on a 68 setting, but apparently at some point between that and attempting to install a more permanent jump wire (which I apparently did incorrectly) the stat magically fixed itself. Thx for talking it thru with me, relieved to not have a major repair on my hands.