old furnace new blower?

Old 11-13-13, 09:20 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
old furnace new blower?

hello new to posting in forums so if this isnt in the right spot my apologies. I have a amana air command 80, built in 88. My question is would it be wise to buy a new blower motor, seeing as its twenty five years old and my bedroom is on the opposite end of the heat run and barely blowing out heat. And do they make maintenance blowers anymore or are they sealed motors. I dont have the money for a new furnace just curious if this would make a difference, thanks for the help.

Old 11-13-13, 10:13 AM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

First, since your furnace is 25 years old, I suggest that you get a pro to check out the heat exchanger to be sure that it is not cracked.

You can buy blowers which fit in your heating duct for a fraction of the cost of a new furnace. That will improve the air flow to your bedroom.

Google "furnace duct fans" to see a variety.

Old 11-13-13, 10:18 AM
T
Almost, if not all direct drive motors made now are non maintenance with no oilers. With a furnace that age, it might be wise to have the heat exchanger looked at by a pro and definitely have CO detectors in the house. Not scare tactics, just giving advice that I'd give to anyone that has doubts because of the age of their furnace. Re: air flow to bedroom, is the house by chance a split level? Bottom line IMO, if it functions ok, a motor isn't that expensive..but be putting money back for a change out so that it's not a surprise.

Old 11-13-13, 10:34 AM
C
By split level do u mean upstairs, and yes it does but they arent being used except for storage, and i did have it checked a few years ago and i have an old co detector, this may seem ignorant but this ol farm house is so drafty from the michigan basement that i really dont worry about it. I know probably an ignorant statement, as read by some. Thanks for your input and knowledge ill get to looking, now do i have to buy a new "run" capacitor as well as the blower. Thanks again.

Old 11-13-13, 10:37 AM
C
I did have it checked a few years ago and do have a old co detector, and will google that right now. Thank you for reply and input and the point in the right direction.

Old 11-13-13, 02:00 PM
T
Even the best CO detectors have an expiration date on them. Buy new ones if more than 5 years old IMO. Drafty house or not, if you have a hole in the heat exchanger, it's delivering it all over your upstairs via the vents when it runs. The reason I asked about bi-level is because it's the worst ductwork possible for extreme ends of the house. Yes you should get a new capacitor to match the new motor. I never use the old one, even if it matches.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: