Heil 867.768171 furnace will not ignite

Old 11-13-13, 03:15 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Heil 867.768171 furnace will not ignite

I have a Heil model 867.768171 natural gas furnace installed around 1990 that failed to heat last night. No known problems before this. I opened the panel and replaced a vacuum hose between the draft motor and the air pressure switch since it was dried out and had broken, using a rubber automotive hose that I had available. After powering down and shutting off gas for a while, I turned the power switch and gas back on and the draft motor comes on immediately and runs indefinitely. I heard some faint clicks which stopped after several seconds. I never saw a glow from the ignitor or heard or smelled any gas. I even tried with the lights out and saw any hint of a spark from the ignitor. We are short staffed at work for the next several days and time off for a service call will be difficult right now. Any ideas on what I can do to get it going until I can have a professional look at it?

Old 11-13-13, 03:36 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I suggest that you clean the port where the hose you replaced attaches to the inducer motor. The port often gets clogged up with debris and prevents a vacuum from being created. You can use a paper clip or very small drill bit or allen wrench to clean the port. Make sure it clear from the opening all the way to the fan blade inside the inducer. When finished cleaning the port, reattach the hose to the port and blow through the hose to verify the port is clear. Re-attach the hose and test the furnace to see if it operates. If not, sometimes tapping on the pressure switch will get you going. Also, you can remove the hose from the port you cleaned and gently suck and blow on the end to see if you hear a click in the pressure switch. Hopefully, these steps will get you going.

Old 11-13-13, 08:01 PM
B
I had no trouble getting a paper clip down to the fan blade or blowing air through the port. No trouble getting clicks from the pressure switch either as it appears to be moving freely. More of the same after powering up the system. Shouldn't there be some visible evidence of a spark?

Your advice has certainly been appreciated.

Old 11-14-13, 05:42 AM
B
2nd attempt

I made a second try at cleaning out the port to the draft motor and air now goes in more freely, I powered back up and it ignited and flamed pretty quickly, but it doesn't stay lit for long. It fired up and stopped for a few seconds a few times.

Does this provide any more clues?

Old 11-14-13, 04:56 PM
I suggest you locate the combination ignitor/flame rod, carefully remove it and clean using steel wool. Is this the type of ignitor your unit has?

Attached Images  
Old 11-14-13, 08:14 PM
B
I was hoping you would say that. From what I have seen, there are other things that are a lot more expensive to replace. That's exactly what I have, only a little newer looking. I'll post again when I get it done.

Old 11-15-13, 05:46 AM
T
Worked on a older heil a a week ago doing the same thing. wouldn't light and combustion fan ran continuously. Thought it was the board but it turns out the Roll out switch located right above the burners was tripped. I hit the little reset button on it and it started working. but it did it again due to a cracked heat exchanger. We replaced the unit. Maybe this is your problem IDK. hope it helps.

Old 11-15-13, 06:04 AM
Yes, a furnace that old definitely needs to have a regular inspection of the heat exchanger as well as having high quality carbon monoxide detectors installed in the home.

Old 11-16-13, 08:58 PM
B
I replaced the ignitor and it has fired up briefly a few times and then goes out. My CO detector is quiet. This has become a job for the professionals.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Old 11-17-13, 07:00 AM
Sorry to hear you weren't able to get it to work. It is probably a good idea to have a pro perform a thorough inspection.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: