1/2 my house is cold!

Old 11-14-13, 05:56 PM
1/2 my house is cold!

ImageShack - Host your every picture online for free

In the late summer I had my kitchen done. Of course the water was turned on and off several times because of the sink and faucet being replaced. There was a leak in a pipe and the water was turned on and off again. The plumber capped the pipes in the kitchen until the faucet was installed. It was like that for a couple of weeks. When the kitchen was done and they ran the faucet there was lots of murky colored water coming out of all the faucets. The floor to the kitchen was replaced so the contractorís plumber replaced the heating elements in the kitchen because the old one was too low for the floor. I had called the oil furnace guy because of no hot water or something. It was the end of the summer, so it wasnít a heat issue. Oil burner guy got mad for whatever his reasons were and told me that if my problem was related to my kitchen being done he would charge me. He said that the pipes needed to be bled, so before the plumber left he bled the pipes. Since then Iíve noticed heating issues in the house. When the temperature dropped outside I noticed that only Ĺ of the house was getting warm. The side of the house including the kitchen is ice cold, which is the back of the house. The front of the house is toasty. Of course my bedroom is on the back of the house. Neither the oil burner guy or the plumber want to come back without charging me and I canít afford that.

I have two zones, one upstairs and one downstairs. Down stairs seems to be fine and laundry room is toasty. Upstairs is where Iím having the problem. Yesterday I bled the furnace myself. I left each of the openings run for so long I was afraid of over filling my cesspools. When I came upstairs I felt some warmth on the kitchen pipes for a short time, but since then nothing.
Iíve checked all the pipes leading to an from the furnace, one pipe seems to be cold, but I believe thatís the pipe that brings water to the system cause it leads back to the main water line. I should say my furnace was replaced by my brother-in-lawís brother and no paper work was left here. I donít know what the model number is and canít find it on the unit. But it is a Lennox. I have no hot water heater; it is an all included system. The furnace runs, I hear it come on and off.

Yesterday when I bled, I bled all of the valves several times. There is one in the back that makes a tinny sound on the other side of the unit but, like I said I let it run and hardly any air comes out.

Do I have an air blockage, is something broken in the unit causing this problem? Help!!

Thanks

Last edited by xldymech; 11-14-13 at 06:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-13, 06:12 PM
Old 11-14-13, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator
Are you purging from one of the two valves over the circs? Are you closing the yellow handle valve when you do this???

Take a look at the pressure and temp gauge... Whats it say?????

Old 11-14-13, 07:26 PM
not closing handles, should I be closing the handles, which ones

Old 11-14-13, 07:39 PM
can't read the temperature, but the needle is looks to be in the middle, black needle on pressure is about 42 and the red needle is about 70. yes I bled over the circs. Do I need to close the handle on the line I bleed or opposite.

Old 11-14-13, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator
close handle on line you bleed. Make sure there is 12 psi in the boiler...

Old 11-16-13, 01:46 PM
Ok, so now I've done that. I get a little bit of bubbles in the bucket on each line as I run the water on all three and still have no heat in 1/2 my house.

Could there be something else wrong?

Old 11-16-13, 01:59 PM
question about this picture

ImageShackģ - Online Photo and Video Hosting

the three valves that I bled here, each have their own shut off, but the one all the way in the back's handle is down, is that on or off.

Help is appreciated.

Old 11-16-13, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator
What the psi say on the boiler gauge?

Your pics are small. The handle on the left looks like the water feed. It looks like its off... You need to open that until 12 psi shows on the boiler gaige then close it..

If it is your fill valve.. Normally there is an auto fill valve...

Better pics would help...

Old 11-16-13, 02:25 PM
Lol

It was off, LOL. I'm enjoying ragging on the plumber.

My furnace's pressure runs between 20-30.

Thanks

Old 11-16-13, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator
psi 20 - 30 is a bit high....

Expansion tank needs to be checked probably... Can you take a pic so we can see what type you have?

And do you have heat now?