Bryant 90 plus furnace burners will not stay lit with burner door on

Old 11-15-13, 06:11 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bryant 90 plus furnace burners will not stay lit with burner door on

Members,
The heater works great with the burner compartment door off. My question is why does it not work with the burner door on.
With the door on when the thermostat calls for heat the heater starts the ignition process. Soon as the burners light about 2 seconds later they go off. The heater makes a second attempt. Usually on the third or forth attempt the heater kicks on. Once I put the door on the first 2 times the thermostat calls for heat the burners kick on but on 3rd or 4th attempt. After the first 2 calls for heat with door on the heater never kicks on again so I take the door off and it works great all the time.
A couple of weeks ago I had the flame sensor replaced. Tech rigged old flame sensor so we could have heat. When he put part in and verified it worked he said leave burner door off because compartment is not getting enough air
If anybody knows what I can try to make heater work with burner Door on please let me know
Thanks Frank

Old 11-15-13, 06:51 PM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Does the door have louvers or a plain front. If louvers it should get ample air. If a plain front, it probably gets makeup air from outside your house, through a pipe. If that is the case, I would check the pipe for an obstruction - wasp nest etc. which would restrict the incoming air.

Old 11-16-13, 12:52 AM
B
Woody,
Burner compartment has a silver solid door made out of metal. Now since the furnace is high efficacy it needs intake air. The intake air comes form outside. The heater uses a PVC pipe and the pipe goes through the brick of house. Can not use chimney because gases to hot.
I used a shop vac and from outside of house where intake air line begins I sucked the whole line. Really nothing came out. Not to say it is not still blocked. Also right where line goes into heater there is a screen. I took the line apart and screen was clear.
Frank

Old 11-16-13, 07:57 AM
G
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bull6791
Woody,
Burner compartment has a silver solid door made out of metal. Now since the furnace is high efficacy it needs intake air. The intake air comes form outside. The heater uses a PVC pipe and the pipe goes through the brick of house. Which door did the tech recommend you leave off--the combustion chamber or the cabinet door? I really can't imagine ANY tech recommending either. The combustion chamber is sealed and gets its air from the outside, if not getting enough he would have investigated why--not recommend a dangerous temporary fix. Same with the cabinet door--no air needed.
Can not use chimney because gases to hot. This is wrong--you can't use a chimney because the gas is too cold and would not evaporate chimney-wrecking moisture.

Old 11-16-13, 08:05 AM
T
You might check to see if you have a screen at where the fresh air enters the furnace. Many Bryants had this and moths and tree leafs would obstruct there.

Old 11-16-13, 09:52 AM
B
Guy48065
I have a bryant 90 plus 398aav. It is the up flow model. The heater has two main doors. One for lower and one for upper heater compartments. Take the main door off to upper compartment and there is a silver box inside. Inside the silver box is ignitor flame sensor and burners. I guess they call this silver box burner box.
When he put the new flame sensor on and confirmed it worked the tech said leave cover off because burner box is not getting enough air. He also said some older heater need more ventilation in this area so leave cover off and it is only for window dressing anyway.
My question is with the burner box door on heater is not getting enough ventilation for burners to fire up. Why is there not enough ventilation. With the door off heater works great.
Thanks Frank

Old 01-02-14, 10:48 AM
Question this is interesting

this is very interesting!
... but how it's work this thing. Not enough air it's a condition for heater to not burn up?

Old 01-02-14, 03:41 PM
How old is the furnace?

Now it's not really a 90% in a way since you are now drawing air from the house.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: