How do you clean the burner ass'y on a standing pilot, propane furnace?

Old 11-16-13, 01:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How do you clean the burner ass'y on a standing pilot, propane furnace?

This furnace has been sitting idle for about three years or more. Currently waiting on a carbon monoxide detector delivery (the mobile home is currently unoccupied.

I know that dirt (soot?) can cause too much yellow in the flame. Also wondering if excessive manifold pressure can cause too much yellow and too large a flame.

After the flame hits the flame spreader, just about as much of the flame going upward, also goes downward, and most of the yellow in this flame is below the flame spreader... if that means anything. There is some yellow in the upper half as well, however.

Is setting proper manifold pressure sufficient or is there additional benefit in getting a tech with a combustion analyzer? A combustion analyzer is essentially an indicator of CO content while adjusting flame?

Last edited by plumducy; 11-16-13 at 02:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-13, 08:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Getting a tech to service, inspect, & perform combustion testing, including CO, is certainly money well spent, especially on a furnace which has been idle for 3+ years. It doesn't take a lot to rust out a mobile home furnace.

Old 11-19-13, 10:52 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Nordyne/Miller Standing Pilot, LPG
Model #: MGHA-075AAFC-01
Serial #: MGH9108-03007

I do have a tech coming out to check out this furnace, but since this home is not occupied currently, I have agreed to wait on him a bit until his schedule lightens up some.

In the mean time, thought I could check for blockage in the flue pipe from furnace to roof top vent. Never done that before and I assume I could remove the vent (roof jack?) on top and look down the pipe, but according to a parts illustration, it requires a bit more than that. The individual pipes exiting the top of the heat exchanger roll over to the right side to connect to the duct coming down from up top.

Wondering how I could check for blockage "all the way through." Attachment 21571

Last edited by plumducy; 11-19-13 at 12:08 PM.