Igniter sparks, but no flame? Lennox 80MGF

Old 11-18-13, 06:01 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Igniter sparks, but no flame? Lennox 80MGF

Hi there, I live in Canada and its getting cold and my furnace will not work.
The gas flows, the igniter sparks, but the flame does not catch. I was able to use a bbq lighter to turn it on (when the tech at my house did that) but he took his 49 bucks for the diagnosis and thats that. He suggests I get a new furnace which feels like hes just trying to get more money from me. I called Delta to take a look at it and they say the control board is faulty which makes no sense since its doing its job (getting the igniter to spark).

I don't really know what the issue is, I can see the spark so I know its there for sure. The gas is definitely there because he was able to burn it with a BBQ lighter.

Any help?

Old 11-18-13, 06:43 PM
Welcome fellow Canuck.

Can you tell if the LED on the controller is flashing. If so can you count the flashes and report back ?

Old 11-19-13, 02:35 PM
S
Great news! I managed to fix the issue my self. I took a look at the igniter's spark with the gas turned off and the burners out of the way. And the spark was there for sure, but this time I noticed the igniter's electrodes was no where near the flow of the gas if it were turned on. I took out the igniter and put it in a second location (my furnace has pre drilled locations) and it was closer to the flow of gas. I closed everything up, turned on the gas and what do you know, ignition!

It's been functioning properly since this morning.

Old 11-19-13, 03:00 PM
Glad to hear you got it going.

One thing that's odd though --- why or how would the ignitor move from it's proper position ?

Old 11-20-13, 02:26 PM
S
I have a feeling the tech that came to my house moved it so he can sell me the new furnace. Because there was no way it could spark any gas at its position, and he also bent the electrodes. He claimed the electrodes might have shorted somewhere if it were touching any metal.

Sometimes I wonder if they just pull these stunts just because I'm a woman.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: