delayed ignition

Old 11-27-13, 06:56 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
delayed ignition

could a faulty igniter cause delayed ignition on a HE furnace?

Old 11-27-13, 05:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,051 Upvotes on 3,634 Posts
Can you explain "delayed ignition" ?

Does the ignitor start up and when the burner goes to light you get a puff or a mini explosion instead of a clean ignition ?

That would usually be caused by a rusty/clogged burner.

Old 11-28-13, 07:32 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for reply.This is 3rd heating season that furnace has had this problem & yes it is a mini explosion! Unfortunately this is a very inconsistent event. Furnace runs normal for 2 weeks ,maybe 4-5 weeks & out of the blue there might be several very loud booms on start ups. Technician has yet to witness . Burners have been cleaned( unit is a nine year old Nordyne in shot) gas regulator changed, glowbar changed,even tried another board. That,s why I was wondering if a new igniter might work.I ,m a senior & I have to admit my knowledge of gas furnaces is very limited . Fortunately, the technician is a friend & it hasn,t cost me as yet.

Old 11-28-13, 08:49 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,051 Upvotes on 3,634 Posts
I'm not the pro in this forum but I've seen two problems cause that.

One is the burner crossover area is not fully clean. That would be the slot in the burner nearest to the ignitor.

Try moving the ignitor slightly closer to the burner. This need to be done carefully as the ignitor will shatter if you hit it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: