One of the burners in my furnace is back-firing... fix or replace?

Old 12-20-13, 12:59 PM
No no.
That's not what I meant.
What I said was, I buy the furnace myself and have it installed through a licensed HVAC company.
That way, the only cost would be installation fee and parts instead of marking up on the furnace itself.
Think about it, at $50/hr, it'll be only $200 installation fee.
Even at $75/hr, it'll only be $300.
Plus materials may be another $100 and some additional fee for insurance/warranty etc... may be $100.
So max $500. I ended up paying close to $1000 on install.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-13, 03:23 PM
Two different companies I worked for over an 18 year period, counted on materials as part of their profit. If someone bought their own, the labor went up with the understanding that they wouldn't guarantee. A guy on Craigs list will do it, but not a reputable company. It really is that way.

Old 12-20-13, 05:19 PM
Materials have to be taken into consideration for sure.

I think it's reasonable to have a 100% markup on the furnace plus $1000 for install, but I don't actually work in this industry. I would charge at least that though.

This is a skilled trade which requires years of schooling, and apprenticeship, expensive tools, fully stocked truck, etc. It's not like you're paying a painter or a general laborer.

Old 12-20-13, 09:47 PM
^Forgot to mention, at $1400 - you got a really good deal.

Only someone working out of a truck with a cell phone (no office staff) could offer a furnace at such a low price, not an established company. Hopefully he actually set the furnace up properly (gas pressure + blower speed checked and adjusted if needed) and will be available to honor the parts warranty.

Old 12-26-13, 08:25 AM
Yes, just got November's bill and it's $90 for gas but it was bitter cold for two weeks.
One whole week was below 0 for the lows and it was on the 20 years old furnace with cracked heat exchangers.
I hope the new one is better even if it's the same 80% efficiency.

So I guess my max would be around that even in coldest weather.
But even at $90 for all 6 months, I don't get my money back in 10 years so no worries there for not installing high efficiency furnace.