The furnace blower takes much longer to kick in after servicing?

Old 12-05-13, 06:57 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The furnace blower takes much longer to kick in after servicing?

BRYANT Plus90 350 MAV .. HE Condensing, propane... the unit sat for years, in an unheated house ... started up fine and judging by what I read in the manual the furnace was starting and blower started within less than a minute as per manual. I decided to get it checked out since it sat for so long ... serviced and he ended up replacing all burners, primary, secondary heaters, coupling box? front plate? .. that is what is on bill......

Now the furnace will start, after 40 seconds you hear another noise and then at 1 minute and 40 seconds the blower finally kicks on. It seems like it is too long a period? Is this something to be worried about?

Also I read in the manual "gas valve switch or knob MUST be facing forward or tilted upward. Failure to follow this warning could result in property damage, personal injury or death" ..... okay so I look at this one and it is tilted downwards. I asked the service guy and he says it doesn't matter it could be upside down? Because his response deviated from the manual I emailed Bryant .... they said that they leave it up to the service man to determine what is right in each situation, if you are not confident with this service man .. they then gave me 3 other outfits that service Bryant?? This response seemed totally ridiculous to me ...

Anyhow, since I know what the manual says but obviously it is not really adhered to or important ... according to the manufacturer .... I was wondering if there is anyone with experience with this who can shine a light. I just want to know if it is something to be concerned with or not and is this something that the service guy may have adjusted? thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-13, 08:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 16 Votes on 14 Posts
I have never seen where a gas valve had to be orientated a certain way. That being said, I have always been a stickler for following a manufacturer's installation instructions. I suggest you contact the valve's manufacturer or consult the installation instructions for that valve as listed on the manufacturer's web site.

Regarding the blower timing: The sound you initially hear is probably the vent motor, followed by the sound of ignition (at 40 seconds), then the blower (at 1:40). Sixty seconds between ignition & the blower coming on sounds a bit long to me. That timing may be changable on the board, maybe not.

You need to contact your service company & express your concerns. If they won't do anything about it, call another servicer.

Old 12-05-13, 08:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 514 Votes on 484 Posts
At 40 seconds you probably hear the burner light and a minute later the blower starts.
The service manual says the blower should come on in approx. 35 seconds so a minute is a little long.

As far as the gas valve knob issue..... if you could post a picture of it we could comment on it.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Last edited by PJmax; 12-05-13 at 08:51 PM.