Propane Gas Furnace at rest transformer hum?

Old 12-05-13, 11:23 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Propane Gas Furnace at rest transformer hum?

BRAND Nordic ? Model#MGM-0908A-PQ-05 Propane Furnace no aux A/c wired in at this time.
Thermostat White Rogers #63123 Type 1F80-261 Takes 2 AA Batterys

Wiring Diagram on Furnace shows 2 wires to Thermostat one White one Red

Story, there's always a long story this isn't any different so bear with me and I we be factual as possible. I Replaced a oil furnace (Bowl cracked found on Fall inspection and cleaning) with a gas unit meeting the required area of this Double wide mobile home a exact replacement same enclosure position.
Unit was bought new 15 years ago and installed by the sellers Installer, Permitted and all hardware, wiring, flu stacks, duck work was performed to state code (NC) and present county code and inspected and worked fine. There was a standard 2 ton A/C unit outside and the installer wired both up to thermosat.
Mother in Laws home and she passed 8 months later. Home sat empty for 2 plus years and since 6-8 renters have came and gone. Somewhere in those 6-8 renters the wiring was unplugged to half the relays and sensors a doorbell transformer added for a doorbell power robbed point and heat strips added to the outside unit and thermostat wired to the out side unit, Yes sir they made a mess and to top it off stole the outside unit when they moved or had some do it.

I inspected the gas unit cleaned it serviced the motor checked for damage inspected the flu all is solid shape. I took the wiring diagram and wired the unit back. and had the gas company deliver a tank and made all new line connections shut off valves Leak tests and the unit fired right up and ran fine the Gas Company tech checked and set the regulator. The unit goes thru all systems fine as it should all cycles work at the units standards.

But at rest I have a transformer hum its slight But its constant IF I turn off the power it goes away. so its not a gas hum

I think the hum is from the 110_24 volt transformer, is it possible the wrong thermostat got put on in those 6-8 family's or is it just a low volt transformer going bad or just "spose" to hum like that. its not super loud but it's there
IF I turn the thermostat to the OFF mode it is still there, only the power breaker makes it go away.
I want it to be Safe and right there's no other way. I called 3 local service guys in the area and they hear gas and start backing up and say hum..lol I used to get the same story on the oil unit so I always did the service and cleaning on it also.
Guidance, advice welcomed and sorry for the long story, and yes I repaired all duct work from outside unit theft.

Thanks in advance Steve

Old 12-06-13, 05:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
A transformer hum is not all that unusual & nothing to worry abut unless it is annoying.

Old 12-16-13, 05:55 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks Grady annoying we can put up with it's not that loud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: