Furnace Problems

Old 12-06-13, 03:35 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Furnace Problems

I have an American Standard Freedom 80 gas forced air furnace that is 15 years old. Today when I came home from work, I noticed the furnace was running. I went to turn up the thermostat from 55 to 61, and then very shortly after that the furnace turned off-- nowhere near 61 degrees. So I manipulated the thermostat some more and furnace came back on. Some things I noticed--When I turn up the thermostat I hear the usual click, the pilot appears to light normally and the blower waits and then blows warm air initially but after a short period of time the air is no longer warm and when I touch the flue pipe it is then no longer warm/hot but the furnace continues to blow air. The furnace does seem to shut off and not continuously blow cool air. What kind of problem am I looking at and of course, what will it cost to repair (ballpark figure)? Thanks so much for any help you can provide.

Old 12-06-13, 04:36 PM
N
Could this have been caused by natural gas delivery glitch? I only say this because furnace now appears to be cycling normally-- blower has been putting out warm air continuously now for 30 or so minutes-- gone from 54 to 58 degrees! Yeah!

Old 12-06-13, 10:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,122 Upvotes on 3,702 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I'd doubt it was a natural gas delivery issue.

If I had to hazard a guess I'd say your flame sensor needs to be cleaned. May be time to have the furnace professionally cleaned and checked out if it hasn't been done recently.

Your local gas company would be a good choice to call for cleaning/service.

Old 12-07-13, 04:24 AM
N
Thanks! I will get that done.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: