same burning delrin smell

Old 11-10-13, 10:15 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I'm having a similar problem with a Carrier Performance High Efficiency Furnace (59SP5A).

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ga...r-1-month.html

We've been told it was a protective coating they put on the heat exchanger, but after several hours of "burning it off" with the windows open and running the furnace constantly, the odor, while much reduced, is still there. The odor initially smelled much like burning Delrin, and acetal co-polymer, that releases formaldehyde when overheated. The odor caused eye and nose irritation, and a headache. After running the furnace for a few weeks, the odor is mild, but still annoying and causing me headaches.

The installer has been little help, which is no real surprise. The competency level of the techs who did the install was questionable, at best, as it took them almost 3 months to complete the job. The lead tech was fired mid project, and a rather young and inexperienced tech took over, with a helper who didn't have a clue. My first thought was they may have dropped or left something inside, but now I'm thinking Carrier has a design flaw, where something is used in the construction of the furnace, that is in a place where it can't handle the temperatures is is exposed to. Possibly a plastic part, electrical component, or insulation.

My dilemma is how to get this fixed. The contractor has become unresponsive. I'm thinking I'll get my gas company to send out a tech, and see if they can get this fixed for me.

Last edited by lawrosa; 12-07-13 at 08:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-13, 08:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hello,
I have the same problem on my Infinity 98% efficiency heater.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ga...r-1-month.html

It only smells when the system recovers from a setback temp. I.E. from 62 deg. to 70 deg. in the morning. After house is at temp, maintaining the daily temperature, no smell is detected.
On another site, one very experienced person from another blog site, HVAC told me motor wires, or other wires (plastic insulation of wires are scorching) and a service call is needed....oh boy.
I emailed Carrier, which I think will contact my installer (not much help I think here). So, I will see if Carrier calls me in a few days. You can find this problem all over the net.

Regards,
Taz1956

Old 12-08-13, 03:01 AM
Group Moderator
Received 473 Votes on 444 Posts
I would severely doubt you are going to find scorched wiring.