Bad Day with Furnace, need opinion

Old 12-09-13, 05:09 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bad Day with Furnace, need opinion

We have a 4 month old furnace. Has only been in heat mode for 30 days. Everything appeared to be working fine until today when I removed the cover and noticed a slight wiff of gas inside the cabinet.

I tracked it down to the valve. I called out the utility co. with their sniffer and they indicated 1 ppm of gas leaking from the vent/pressure adjustment screw on the valve and inside the burner chamber. They promptly red flagged us and turned off the furnace and said not turn it back on until the valve was replaced.

Later in the day the service co. replaced the valve under warranty and had to remove the piping from the union outside to the manifold side of the valve (breaking the factory joint on the outlet side). The contractor had to purge the gas line too and the house still reaks a bit from it.

I hope everything is working correctly after everything being disrupted.

Should I feel like this is just the start of issues with this furnace? Was replacing the valve the proper fix or should I just had them service the existing if possible? Was I over-reacting with only 1ppm of gas being detected?

Obviously my "new" furnace isnt technically new anymore since its guts have been removed. It really hurts too since its was so expensive and something I hoped would serve my family well for 20+ years.....

Old 12-09-13, 05:57 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I feel that you may be overreacting. A new $50,000 car can have a parts failure, replaced under warranty, and I doubt many owners would consider it an unfit pick of junk.

Stuff happens occasionally. Your furnace may give you many comfortable years without another malfunction.

Old 12-09-13, 06:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 878 Upvotes on 741 Posts
Things are just an assembly of many parts. Those parts are many times made by other manufactures other then the one that "assembled" the finished product. I say iron out the bumps now while it is under warranty.

1 ppm seams to be low to be red flagging your furnace, although I am not a gas/furnace guy.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: