Need opinions on Bryant 90 plus issues.

Old 12-10-13, 04:35 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need opinions on Bryant 90 plus issues.

I have a Bryant 90 plus propane furnace that was installed somewhere around '97 or '98. About 4-1/2 years ago the primary heat exchanger was replaced (lifetime warranty). About a month ago I started to hear a faint noise when the draft inducer fan would come on. It sounded like bearing noise. It is making a droning noise that comes & goes as the motor is running (typical bearing noise). It has gotten louder, so I started checking into it. If I remove the front panel from the furnace, you can't hear the noise standing right in front of the furnace. It seems to be more noticeable when you are upstairs where you can hear it coming through the duct work. I have noticed through the sight glass that after the burners ignite, the flames will pulse very slightly in time with the noise. The flame also shows a very slight bit of yellow coinciding with the coming and going of the noise. When not running, the DI motor turns very freely and continues to turn a long time after shutting down as it slows to a stop. The bearings feel good when turning the shaft by hand, and has non of the normal symptoms of bad bearings. A local HVAC tech. says he suspects a heat exchanger (possibly the secondary heat exchanger) problem again. I'm thinking that the flame pulse & slight change of flame color might be due to a problem with the DI. Having never seen the inside end of the DI, I have no idea if there's anything on the inside end that could be causing this problem. Hate to pay to have another heat exchanger put in only to find out that it is a DI problem. Any thoughts on this issue? THANKS

Old 12-10-13, 04:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Based on what you say about how the DI feels & acts, as well as having to have a heat exchanger once, I'm afraid I'd have to favor what the tech is saying. My question is why did the first heat exchanger fail? The single most common cause is undersized ductwork.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: