Beckett oil furnace - themostat won't start fan + reset won't start burner

Old 12-10-13, 01:01 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Beckett oil furnace - themostat won't start fan + reset won't start burner

Hi All,

So I've got a pretty old Beckett oil furnace at my apartment.

Last week we had ~5-10 gallons of fuel remaining and everything was working fine. Because the oil was so low, we called for oil delivery, which I got today. Now the tank is ~85 gallons.

Now today just after delivery when I tried to turn the furnace on via the themostat nothing happened.

Things I've done:

Checked fuses - the one labeled "furnace" is fine (switched it with another and lights turned on).

The breaker / wiring is old and I don't really understand the diagram. It looks like this with the top "pull out" fuse(?).

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__...y_Fuse_Box.jpg

Depressing the red "reset" on the furnace does nothing, no pumping or anything.

There is a manual switch to turn on the fan near the furance. Turning on this switch turned on the fan.

My thought is since the thermostat won't even trigger the fan to turn on, there may be a short?

Any help appreciated...

Old 12-10-13, 02:48 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
the stat doesn't run the fan the fan comes on after the burner runs and heats the unit up need service pressing the reset isn't a fix

Old 12-10-13, 05:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
You say this is an apartment. Do you rent? If so, furnace repairs should be the landlord's resposibility.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: