trouble with oil furnace need help!

Old 12-14-13, 11:20 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
trouble with oil furnace need help!

I am renting a house and am having an issue with the furnace. Want to see if it is a simple fix before I contact my landlord about coming to look at it.
When the thermostat is calling for heat it comes on ok for maybe a minute and then the motor begins clicking on and off for the entire time it is trying to heat. From inside the house I can't hear anything happening, but noticed the outside vent chugging on and off so I went to the basement to see what it was doing, and while it is clicking on and off the flame is starting and stopping also. The furnace is vented through a pipe and comes through a wall on the side of the house. Every time this clicking is happening, the exhaust from the vent pipe is stopping and starting. I had the furnace cleaned about 1.5 months ago, nozzle changed, and whatever else a service tech would do during a cleaning. This problem has only happened with the furnace since that time, last year it did not do that at all. The problem started intermittently only doing this sometimes, but now it is doing it every time the furnace runs. There is heat blowing from the vents during heating without a problem. I have now turned off the emergency shut off and am running some elctric heaters to keep the house warm, but they're not doing much as it is currently minus 20 here. Any thoughts on what the problem could be?

Old 12-14-13, 06:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
You need to call your landlord now. It sounds like your furnace is power vented & they can be a real pain to work on.

Old 12-14-13, 06:21 PM
S
Thanks Grady

Nothing I should try in the meantime until they are able to set up a service call as I'm sure nothing will be able to be scheduled very quickly at this time of year.

Old 12-14-13, 07:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
There are several variations of wiring on sidewall venters & several switches. It can get pretty complex. You really shouldn't have to wait a long time for a service call since you are not talking about routine maintenance.

Old 12-14-13, 08:03 PM
S
Ok thanks, I will make the call then. Thanks for the info

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: