need help to rigg a propane tank to propane burner on wood furnace

Old 12-14-13, 03:31 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
need help to rigg a propane tank to propane burner on wood furnace

ok i have a longwood dual fuel furnace and i only burn wood in it. but it has a Adams Model HP-225 speed flame propane burner on it to light the wood and to also help with coals and stuff but i want to hook up a regular 20 gallon propane tank up to it and just use it to light the wood. but i will include some pictures and i want to know what i would need to buy to make this connection between the propane tank and the propane burner i have no idea on what size fittings i need if anyone could help me out by linking pages to what i need to get that would be great thanks.

also i can't use my images here because NO camera takes 50kb photos and if i shrink them down that much they will look like crap honestly this needs work if you are using a image from a image site like photobucket there should not be a image size limit so next task is to try to link them if i can

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/...psb675e86d.jpg

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/...ps1a7e271b.jpg

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/...psb675e86d.jpg

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/...psd3d1e586.jpg

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/...pse3b7d3e3.jpg

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/...ps09d872d2.jpg

Old 12-14-13, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
You did not show pictures of the correct location.
The propane tank has to be connected outside, presumeably at the other end of the fitting you are showing.

You do know that you can't use or store a propane tank indoors?

Old 12-14-13, 04:13 PM
T
the other end of the line goes outside to the non existent propane tank. also we live out in the country where there are no city codes or ordinances you can rig your electricity to your house with wire ties and no one would care. just need the type of hoses or fitting that would work on a propane tank.

Old 12-14-13, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator
I'm afraid we can't help you.
You would be wrong about no one caring......the firefighters or ambulance attendants that have to come out to your place would for sure care !

What you are proposing is dangerous and it would irresponsible for anyone to offer this advice.

Old 12-14-13, 04:21 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Code or not the tank needs to be outside.

Old 12-14-13, 04:27 PM
T
ok sorry i asked ill figure it out

Old 12-14-13, 04:44 PM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
the other end of the line goes outside to the non existent propane tank.
In post #3 the OP said the tank went outside. Did I miss something?

Old 12-14-13, 04:49 PM
T
there is a tank outside but it is like real bad condition but i would bet that it leaks but there are a few places around here that i could get a propane tank but what would the hook up be to fit a small propane cylinder to a larger household tank my house is ALL ELECTRIC the only thing the propane line runs to is that burner on the WOOD furnace just to light the wood that is it.

Old 12-14-13, 04:52 PM
T
also would like to add one thing its either i find a way to put propane in the propane line or i buy a 20 gal propane tank and a weed burner from harbor freight and i still end up with a propane tank in the basement.

Old 12-14-13, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator
We can't stop you from doing this if you are so inclined.

You need to understand that the people who come on here to help do so with professional advice.
IOW we are not hacks!

You don't seem to think no one cares but that is not so.
If you checked you will find codes or ordinances you must follow.........what you may be experiencing however is a lack of enforcement.
The other thing is whether you have fire insurance on your place.
If you do you will not have any with a propane tank indoors.

Do what you want but we would truly feel bad if you destroyed your house or got hurt.........or worse.

Old 12-14-13, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Why not just attach a new tank outside near the one thats there?

Its connected with a flare fitting I am sure...

If a 20 lb aint enough go to a RV store and get a bigger one...

Need an adapter...

Old 12-14-13, 05:13 PM
T
thank you that is what i am wondering is what kind of adapter i would need

Old 12-14-13, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator
Like this... One end goes to the disposable tank and one to the copper flare that is there now to the old tank...

Depends on size of copper pipe...

But please keep the tank outside...

Even if you wanted to bring the tank indoors you would need to cut the copper and flare it.... Do you know how to do that???

Old 12-14-13, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator
If you took a picture of the fitting that is at the end of the outside line we could tell you how to adapt that to a propane tank.

You are referring to a 20 lb tank right?
The fitting on a propane tank is called a POL fitting.........you need to adapt a POL fitting to whatever is on the end of the copper line.

Old 12-14-13, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator
Also very important... Where is the regulator???????

Old 12-14-13, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator
The regulator is an 11" WC one with a pilot safety in the fourth picture.

Old 12-14-13, 05:27 PM
T
thanks for the help it is dark and very cold (13degrees) but ill try to take some pics tomorrow and post them on here. and i know it can be done because someone i know has a propane furnace and water heater and made some kind of hook up for a small 20lb propane tank to the main tank and he used that to run the propane furnace in the basement and the water heater and it would work.

Old 12-14-13, 05:30 PM
T
oh and also i am gonna make damn sure my wood furnace isn't running when i do eventually hook this up that way i can make sure there are no leaks. if there is a leak i would simply shut off the propane outside and open the door to the basement that i use to throw wood down to the basement. but all i am needing this for is to run that one burner because it is a pain in the *** to try to light a 4 foot log in the furnace with a small propane torch.

Old 12-14-13, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator
13 degF cold?
We are -35c which is about -30F.......that's cold!

I don't see a shut-off valve in any of your pics.....is there one we cannot see?
Not as good you can use the one on the gas valve.

Old 12-14-13, 05:52 PM
T
no shutoff valve unless you consider the off on and pilot even if i do get pressure in the lines those are always fun to mess with the art of lighting a 40 year old propane burner.

Old 12-14-13, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator
The regulator is an 11" WC one with a pilot safety in the fourth picture.
Thats for the gas valve right? There should be a separate regulator on the line I assume somewhere....

Old 12-14-13, 06:25 PM
T
oh and also on the fire insurance i have NO insurance the house sat empty for 6 years when i moved in also it has 60 amp electric service and you can't get insurance and also don't pay rent. just the normal bills lights water tv etc.

Old 12-14-13, 11:21 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Since the pressure inside a propane tank can under some circumstance exceed 250 psi you NEED a primary regulator at the tank. This regulator drops the pressure to either 11 inches of water column OR to an intermediate pressure that might be as high as 10 psi. Yo need to look on the combination gas valve at the burner to determine what the maximum input pressure is to that combination valve. Exceed the maximum inlet pressure and you will damage the combination gas valve. There also needs to be a local shutoff valve with an AGA approval immediately before the combination gas valve. This is in addition to the valve at the tank.

Depending on the BTU/hour rating of the burner a 20 pound propane tank probably won't be sufficient, especially at temperatures below 30-40 degrees F. The propane, which is liquid in the tank vaporizes to pass through the regulator(s) and piping to the burner. In order to vaporize it "draws" heat from the surrounding area and the rate of vaporization is dependent upon the ambient temperature at the tank, the surface area of the tank and the BTU/hour requirements of the burner. At 13 degrees and what I suspect is a burner rated in excess of 100,000 BTUs/hour I doubt that you will be able to get much flame at all from anything less than a 100 pound tank.

Finally, even if there are no codes enforced in your area common sense should prevail and the first item is to NOT do anything unsafe.

Old 12-15-13, 08:47 AM
T
i agree i don't know what i was thinking last night after sleeping on it i realize its a stupid idea to keep a propane tank in the basement next to my wood furnace. so no worries there it will be outside.

Old 12-15-13, 08:55 AM
T
also i have to go cut wood most of the day so if i have time later ill get pics of the hookup on the tank.

Old 12-15-13, 04:45 PM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
Just curious, where in MO are you located? From the temperature I am guessing southwest, is that close?

Old 12-15-13, 09:29 PM
T
haha no completely oppisite northwest by st.joseph but good guess. got 3 truck loads of wood cut just got back home so imma hit the bed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: