Tempstar DC90 - Loud inducer motor; now it won't turn on

Old 11-29-15, 08:47 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tempstar DC90 - Loud inducer motor; now it won't turn on

So my furnace inducer motor was making a loud sound (kind of grinding sound) but it was still working. I ended up ordering a refurbished inducer motor, however, prior to that I pulled the old motor off and opened the actual fan shroud to see if I could locate any issues within it. It was obvious that the plastic fan was cracked and the unit looked old.

I did put the entire unit back together, reinstalled it (the only electrical component I removed had been the ground). I flipped the circuit and the furnace turned on with the same loud noise but at some point in the night, it stopped working all together.

Would this still be inducer motor related? Would the furnace still turn on somewhat even if the motor was burnt out or did I accidentally tweak something else out of place? I have since double checked that the furnace switch is on and the circuit is not tripped. Can a burnt out motor keep the entire furnace from starting up?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Old 11-29-15, 09:09 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,946 Upvotes on 3,539 Posts
Are you asking if the burner will light with the draft inducer blower not running.... the answer is no.

The draft inducer needs to start and get up to speed to allow the pressure switch to close.
Then the igniter starts to glow and in 30 seconds the burner lights.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: