Temperature drop

Old 12-26-13, 07:35 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Temperature drop

Hi folks -
I know this is a very difficult question to answer with any degree of confidence. I'm looking for more directional feedback than anything else.

We have a brand new home. Construction completed in 2013. We have a high efficiency gas furnace that heats the home. We are located in the greater Seattle area.

We use Nest to control the heat and have been away the past two days and have Nest set to Away. That activates a minimum house temp of 50 degrees before kicking on to keep the temperature safely at or above 50 degrees.

When we left the house on Tuesday morning the house temperature was 67 degrees. The outdoor air temperature has been between 28 and 36 for the past 48 hours. In 48 hours the temperature in the house has dropped from 67 to the floor of 50 and Nest is properly keeping it at 50.

Is that a reasonable temperature drop for a brand new, well insulated home? I don't know why but it felt like it should have maintained the indoor temperature more efficiently than that.

Thanks,
--Dan

Old 12-26-13, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
17 degrees in 48 hours sound good to me... Although I dont know what an average temp drop is.. I assume there are many factors....

Old 12-26-13, 11:56 AM
Received 57 Upvotes on 50 Posts
Tip: Never set your t-stat below 60F, even when on vacation. The manufacturers don't recommend it because the cold return air could cause moisture in the exhaust to condense where it shouldn't.

Old 12-26-13, 12:46 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
I live in Bothell, about fifteen miles northeast of Seattle. I was running 70 degrees F. inside around midnight last night and then turned the thermostat down to 64 in preparation for going to bed. I got distracted and it was around 3 AM that I was feeling cold and I noticed the temperature was down to about 66. That means a drop of four degrees in three hours so I don't think that your seventeen degree drop over forty eight hours is bad at all.

Old 12-26-13, 04:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
I certainly wouldn't think 17* in 48 hours with an outside temperature of 28-36* is bad at all. In fact, I'd call that pretty darned good.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: