Coleman Furnace Water buildup in my inducer motor.

Old 12-27-13, 12:20 AM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Coleman Furnace Water buildup in my inducer motor.

First some background on the issue as I have been messing with this for about a month now.

I bought my house in August of this year. The house is 7 years old. I have a Coleman furnace(sorry will add more info on model ect when I get home). Anyway once the weather started to get colder we turned on the heat for the first time. I preset everything on my thermostat so the temp would be lower/higher at certain times of the day. No issues for the first 3 weeks of use.

One night i woke up to head to work and noticed it was a bit cool in the house. I didn't think anything of it and left for work. The wife called me the next day saying there was a really bad squeeling noise coming from the furnace so she shut it off.

Once i got home i turned on the heat and no issues for about 20 minutes. Then you could hear the most god aweful sound clearly from the inducer motor/ fan housing. It sounded like a bearing was going bad. The circuit board was flasking 3 times which was pressure switch stuck closed.

Not knowing any better I called in a professional to have a look. I kept the heat off for 8-9 hours until he arrived and wouldn't you know once he turned it on there was no sound at all. In fact the furnace ran good for 3 days.

Before leaving me with a 140$ bill he told me it was probably my inducer motor that was bad or the pressure switches. He advised me to replace both. In fact he called me 30 minutes later with a 600$ estimate for parts and 80$ an hour to install.

Knowing better than that i got all the info for the motor and purchased one brand new online for 150$. Seeing as how it was only 4 bolts and a couple hoses plus 3 electrical wires I can do that what could go wrong. Power shut off and replaced motor in 10 minutes. I turned the heat on and hot damn worked good.

....20 minutes later squeeling noise is back and im furious. After searching online I did some simple things like blowing out all the rubber lines. I found one going to the drain box completely clogged. I figured this may be the issue. Wrong again.

I just couldn't understand how both motors could make the same noise. Then i remembered when taking out the old motor how much water drained out of the housing of the fan. At the very bottom of the fan is a drain with a rubber line running from the housing to the drain box. I removed this hose and about a cup of water drained out of the fan housing. Put the hose back on and turn the furnace on voila no more squealing noise.

Ok so now i know what is causing the noise. Water in the fan housing but how is it getting in there. There must be water getting clogged somewhere. I rechecked all the lines again but nothing is clogged.

I went to home Depot and picked up some clear rubber tubes which will let me see what is happening with the water.

Now i have a "drain box" which is a small box about 5"x3"x3" which 3 tubes run into to drain water. One from the inducer motor, one from the PVC pipe that goes up to the roof and one that runs from the furnace housing itself. They all drain water into this small "drain box" which then drains into a small 1" PVC pipe. This goes down through the floor and runs in between the upstairs and the downstairs.

I checked this pipe for blockage as well it is completely clear.

So now back to my clear tubes. I install 1 clear tube from the inducer fan housing to the "drain box" to see why the water is not draining. After 10 minutes of watching to my suprize the problem is not that the water is not draining from the fan housing. The problem is the fan suction is pulling water from the "drain box" into the fan housing. Yes it is pulling water from more than 8" below it back up the fan and once the housing has about a cup of water in it the squeeling begins.

Now i do not understand why it would do this nor do i know what to do to make it stop. I can disconnect that hose all together and the furnace runs perfect but i don't want to cause harm to my system if it is suppose to be like that. Although it does not work with water in the housing either.

Please help!!

Old 12-27-13, 10:00 PM
V
still looking for suggestions

Old 01-07-14, 07:43 PM
B
Drain box

The small box that all of the hoses drain into has a built in p-trap to stop air from flowing in through the drain.

Be sure that it is oriented in the correct direction, for example if a furnace is installed for horizontal cross flow the tubing and drain box has to be moved because they come from factory ready for up flow applications.

so if your furnace is installed in any way other than up flow, even if it is up flow, check to see that the drain box is in the correct direction, it will have an arrow on it.

If it is oriented correctly then make sure the hoses go to the right ports, and that the box has water in it, for a p-trap to work it must be filled with water.

If that still is not the problem then it is possible that water is condensing in the exhaust tube and pouring backward into the fan, but because you have ran it for several months that is prob not the case.

The final thing I can think of is that if your furnace is in an UN-insulated space, the drain box may have froze which can easily damage it.

So when you reach witts end then just replace that drain box.

Also add some pictures if you still can't fix it.

Old 01-07-14, 07:48 PM
B
Also if tons of water gushes out when the furnace shuts down then I would absolutely blame the p-trap built into the drain box.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: