Three speed motor to replace 1 speed ok?

Old 12-31-13, 07:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Three speed motor to replace 1 speed ok?

I'm looking at a Goodman GMP100-3 furnace, which uses a B18590-05 model inducer assembly. I checked and the model available from a local supply is three speed listed for this application. It is made by Goodman also, and has a model B1859005S designation. The speed at the local store is 1075 RPM listed. The motor itself on the furnace lists an RPM of 3000, one speed. Will this three speed blower assembly work? Why is it listing three speeds? Is this an updated motor design?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-13, 09:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 479 Votes on 449 Posts
Both motors are listed as a replacement for your furnace. I'm guessing the S three speed model may fit more units and could be considered more of a universal replacement blower. Since it is listed as a direct replacement..... one of the available speeds must be 3000 rpm.

However the S model is considerably more expensive so it would appear in your case that it may not be the most cost effective choice.

Old 12-31-13, 09:25 PM
It is however in stock, so I'd go with it if I can use it. Will it have the connectors for the different speeds labeled? I haven't dealt with this three speed model before.

I'm guessing I'd go by color of wire? Black as high, blue as medium (or yellow), and red as low? Assuming it has wires with those colors. So hook it to the black wire for high setting? The colors on the furnace are black and white wires going to the motor.

Last edited by squireone; 12-31-13 at 11:44 PM.
Old 01-01-14, 12:37 AM
Group Moderator
Received 479 Votes on 449 Posts
When you pick the blower up.... make sure it has 3000 rpm listed and that it comes with a wiring diagram or chart.

Old 01-01-14, 02:28 AM
Thanks for your help, I will do that.