Thermostat PSP511 Wiring for Radiant Floor Heat

Old 01-02-14, 06:41 PM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thermostat PSP511 Wiring for Radiant Floor Heat

New home owner (and never had radiant heat before) and I have a bunch of questions but for now I'd really like to get my radiant floor heat in the kitchen going.

The house has 5 zones (each w a different thermostat). All four of the other thermostats have only 3 wires (black - RC, red - RH and white - W) but the one for the kitchen has 5 wires (Red, White, Green, Yellow & Blue [no black wire as with the others]).

My question is what should the wiring scheme be for the kitchen that has the 5 wires? My assumption is W - White, RH - Red and RC - Blue and tie up the others but I want to make sure before I connect anything.

Not sure if additional information is needed but I have a Tekmar 374 boiler control.

There is also blown hot air as well but that thermostat is not giving me any problems

Thanks in advance for any help as I'm lost and looking schemes up online are confusing the hell out of me.

Old 01-02-14, 06:46 PM
V
Sorry the thermostat is a Lux Pro PSP511 which I read is no tthe best for radiant heat but as of now is all I have and we are in the middle of a Blizzard...and - 3 degrees tomorrow night.

Old 01-02-14, 08:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 39 Upvotes on 37 Posts
I would have to guess you have air conditioning & it is tied into the kitchen thermostat. Your wiring sounds reasonable except for the yellow & green. Connect the yellow to Y & the green to G. If you don't have A/C, this would be incorrect. The blue wire is questionable if that thermostat controls a warm air furnace instead of the boiler.

Old 01-03-14, 09:03 AM
V
Thanks Grady. We just moved in to the house so we haven't used the AC yet but I had to remove the green wire from the thermostat that controls the hot air upstairs because the ac fan kept kicking on when only the heat was supposed to be on. I don't believe the kitchen thermostat controls the AC just from that alone but could be wrong. Do you think if I connected them even if it didn't control the AC it would do anything detrimental to the system?

Once again I appreciate your help

Old 01-03-14, 04:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 39 Upvotes on 37 Posts
They may be connected somewhere & without knowing where, I suggest you tape the exposed ends individually & try just red to Rh & white to W. When you get a chance, try to find out where the various wires go.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: