Help! Goodman furnace not igniting.

Old 01-03-14, 09:16 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help! Goodman furnace not igniting.

I have a goodman gmp050-3 furnace for my upstairs and it won't ignite. When I turn it on the fan immediately kicks on, about 15 seconds later the igniter turns on and glows red hot, then the gas solenoid clicks like it's working but no fire, and I don't smell any gas coming out. I've tried tapping it with a wrench but no success. Do these valve go bad by sticking closed very often or is it a flow issue? All other gas appliances work fine. I also removed the nozzles from the gas pipe where it should be flowing from and found no clogs. And the gas valve is getting 27 volts and clicking. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-03-14, 09:55 AM
Group Moderator
Received 2,956 Votes on 2,667 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

When the gas valve clicks like it's opening the igniter should shut off. Does the gas valve get 27 vac for 4-5 seconds ?

Those valves don't go bad very often but it does happen. Sounds more like a pressure issue.
Is this gas or propane ?
If propane..... could the tank be low.

Old 01-03-14, 12:16 PM
A
Yes it keeps the 27 volts for about 5 sec. Then about 10 seconds later the igniter turns back on and the valve clicks again, I guess because it realizes it didn't ignite. It's gas.

Old 01-03-14, 05:28 PM
B
Sounds kinda like the problem I just had. I had to adjust the igniter, for some reason the gas just wasn't hitting it. I just put a flat washer behind one of thd mounting screws to change the angle, that worked for me.

Old 01-04-14, 09:09 AM
G
On my 90s furnace the pilot light orifice got clogged and I had to clean it with a very thin wire. Is it possible the orifice is clogged? You might be able to inspect it with a mirror.

This video shows the ignition sequence.
Goodman GMP0503 Gas Heater staying on HVAC -- HELP -- - YouTube

Old 01-04-14, 12:44 PM
A
I took both orfaces out and they were fine. And someone has already shimmed it with washers. I don't think any gas is coming out at all. Think ill hold a lighter up to it just to be sure.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: