Furnace randomly clicks when off

Old 01-03-14, 07:34 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Furnace randomly clicks when off

My furnace (Rheem 2 stage 95%)randomly clicks when it is off (house is warm enough). It's a very rapid sporadic clicking, similar to Morris code. If heat is commanded or the fan is set to "on" the clicking stops and the system runs as expected.

I have tried to troubleshoot the problem but when I take the cover off and press the switch to return power to the system, the clicking won't start back up.

Any ideas of where to look? My furnace is only 2 years old, but my Hvac guy won't include his labor in the warranty after 2 years, so I'm trying to avoid having him look at it until I have a better idea of the problem. He has historically been a poor troubleshooter, so that's another reason to avoid him.

Thanks.

Video attachment : https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B60Q...p=docslist_api

Old 01-03-14, 09:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,952 Votes on 2,664 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Very hard to diagnose a clicking problem without being there.

Your video attachment is stored in a private or secured area...... not accessible by the public.
You may have to post it you tube.

Old 01-04-14, 08:59 AM
G
Could be expansion and contraction of metal parts at the start and end of heating. I have an Empire that sits in my living room. It does something like what you describe at the start and stop of a cycle. Electric heat and some hot water is also known for doing that.

Old 01-05-14, 09:47 AM
D
I forgot to make the link public, my bad. It's definitely not the pipes expanding or contacting. Now that the video should work I think you will agree. Not to mention the sound typically occurs a while after the furnace turns off, and a while before the furnace turns on.

Thanks for your help.

Old 01-05-14, 10:10 AM
Group Moderator
Received 2,952 Votes on 2,664 Posts
The link works now.

Please post the model number for the furnace.
It's definitely a relay clicking. Why or which one is going to be tricky to find.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: