Blower Motor wont stop -

Old 01-06-14, 05:16 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Blower Motor wont stop -

Hello - I am haveing some trouble with my furnace the blower motor wont stop and the heat will not start. It's getting cold and i would like to figure this out.

I am not sure what the make and model of my unit is. I would guess goodman because thats what the Outside AC coils say.

The control box. I disconnected the thermostat wires foolishing thinking a short might cause the issue.

The business end. I unplugged and tested all the little sensors that the redwire is plugged in to. All of them have continuity including the larger on in the middle of the image. mesured voltage accros them while running and nothing to speak of.

I metered the transformer voltage feeding the control board. 28 volts. if i unplug the transformer blower stops. I measured some sensors on the blower motor it shows a close circuit. The switch that is connected to a pressure device of some kind is open i confirmed the switch works by manual activating it whilst reading it with a meter.

Please any advice would be great. I live in the south and cant take the cold.

oh yeah i hit the relays trying to unstick everything.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-14, 05:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 257 Votes on 242 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I don't recognize the unit. Going to need a make and model. It should be inside the furnace very near the business end picture. Usually on one of the side of the furnace near the burner area.

On some units..... if there is an open limit switch the blower will run and the burner won't operate.

Old 01-06-14, 05:41 PM
Ok found it

Looks like GAMA
373LAV06115
Series C
Serial#1394A09205

Old 01-06-14, 06:17 PM
Group Moderator
Goodman ? Check the prefix letters again GAMA ??

Old 01-06-14, 06:22 PM
definitely says Gama or AMA. I took a picture lets see if it links up right

Old 01-06-14, 06:31 PM
Bdp?

OK so maybe its BDP? And GAMA is some sort of endorsement

Old 01-06-14, 07:34 PM
Group Moderator
Those are endorsements.

You have a Bryant 373LAV

The link below is your service manual. It has a complete diagnostic routine in it.

Hvacpartners groups public documents techlit 2.PDF

Old 01-06-14, 08:09 PM
These are not the droids you are looking for. - CES0110057

Thank you PJmax -

But I must have some older ugly cousin of the unit described in the manual. My unit uses CES0110057 for a control board witch doesn't appear to be the same(No light)

Think I might have to order a new board? If all the roll over (I think thats the name for them) switches are closed. Except the pressure switch thing witch gets triggered by the draft inducer(My unit doesn't get that far except when i short the test pin) I don't see much else to check?

Old 01-06-14, 08:38 PM
Group Moderator
These are not the droids you are looking for. - CES0110057
Priceless...... The Sorcerers Apprentice.

Apparently the replacement board has the LED. If you've checked all the limit switches and they are closed.... then it leaves the board.

The pressure switch closes on inducer startup.

Old 01-07-14, 06:35 PM
Update - Let there be fire

After replacing the board everything seems normal for now. I did notice that inducer was a little squeaky is this something that can be greased or lubricated in some way? Also i would like to confirm that its supposed to shut off after everything is up and running.

Thanx for you help.

Old 01-07-14, 07:20 PM
Group Moderator
You are welcome for the help.

Also i would like to confirm that its supposed to shut off after everything is up and running.
What is shutting off...... the draft inducer blower ? That must be running as long as the burner is lit. The burner should shut off if that blower stops for any reason.

Old 01-07-14, 07:47 PM
Crisis adverted for now

Went back up in the attic for the millionth time. Turns out whats happing is the squeak went away(made me think it turned off) the inducer is indeed running.

Old 01-08-14, 05:44 PM
I heard a similar squeak through the vents the other day and apparently it was my blower motor going bad. It eventually quit working and I had to hand start it to get it working again, temporarily.

The next day, it completely quit and I went to try and hand start it again, until a repair tech could arrive, and the blower wheel was pretty stiff. I ended up replacing the blower motor.

Not sure if this is the same squeak you are hearing, but this was my "fun" during one of the coldest nights since 1996.