Gas Furnace intermittent functionality - pressure switch / drainage

Old 01-18-14, 11:47 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gas Furnace intermittent functionality - pressure switch / drainage

Hi,

I have a Winchester Natural Gas furnace, model W9M060-317. It was installed about 2 months ago. It worked great for a while, but then started running only intermittently. When not running, it gives me 3 red flashes, which the installation manual (page 37) says indicates the pressure switch contacts are open.

When the furnace enters this stage, the condensate trap is always full. I saw in another thread that this could result in the pressure switch contacts not closing properly when the furnace shuts off. I found that I was able to wiggle the drainage hose, which caused a small amount of condensate to flow out little by little, and then the furnace would start up again. Using a level, I found that the furnace was perfectly level (if not tipped slightly back and away from the hose direction). I adjusted it so it was tipped slightly forward 1". However, as time went on, it became increasingly difficult to get the furnace running by wiggling the hose; I get a trickle of condensate to come out, but the furnace won't start for another 5 minutes. Then it was 10 minutes before starting. Then 30.

I tried lightly suctioning out the condensate, which worked well for a while. Just today I adjusted the furnace even more; it's now tipped significantly forward and to the right (probably 4 to 6 inches both directions). No noticeable change. It turned on once or twice in the past 2 days.

Is there something I'm missing? Something else I can try?

Here's the error code from the installation manual:
3 RED FLASHES:
This indicates the pressure switch contacts are open when they should be closed. Check for faulty inducer, blocked vent pipe, broken pressure switch hose, disconnected pressure switch or inducer wires or faulty pressure switch.
Other Details
I live in NY, USA. It's about 40 degrees F outside this time of year. Probably 50 degrees in the basement where the furnace is. It's winter, so reasonably dry. In troubleshooting this problem, I have also received error code 6 and error code 9. They appeared once on different days, until I turned the furnace off and back on, and I've never seen either one since. They indicate "pressure switch opened four times during the call for heat" and "reversed line voltage polarity, grounding
problem or reversed low voltage transformer wires."

Thank you!

Old 01-18-14, 11:50 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,880 Upvotes on 3,477 Posts
I'm a little curious. If it was installed two months ago.... why are you troubleshooting it ?

Old 01-18-14, 11:57 AM
R
Hi PJMax,

I'd really love to save some money and avoid a service call. Our house was recently broken into and a bunch of appliances stolen, so my budget is already strapped this month. The technician who installed it (a friend of mine) has been out of the area, and if it's just a drainage problem, it's something I should be able to handle. It's just gotten out of my depth the last week or so.

Thanks

Old 01-21-14, 01:33 PM
R
Hi,

Would some pictures of the furnace help? I think it's mostly a grading problem, and it's hard to capture angles in a picture, but I can certainly try. Everything looks to be sloping down, yet it doesn't appear to properly drain. Is there something else I can look into?

Old 01-22-14, 11:56 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,880 Upvotes on 3,477 Posts
Pictures always help. I'm not familiar with Winchester furnaces so this will bump the thread too for others to read.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: