Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Gas and Oil Home Heating Furnaces
Reload this Page >

Gas Furnace-Main burners will not ignite. Inducer fan comes on, pilot light lits

Gas Furnace-Main burners will not ignite. Inducer fan comes on, pilot light lits

Old 01-21-14, 07:58 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I have a gas Armstrong Ultra SX 80 unit that the burners will not ignite, inducer fan comes on, I see glowing which turns the pilot light on and after 15 seconds it turns the pilot back off. The fan blower works when I switch the thermostat to fan.
I have replaced the circuit board, but problem persist.

Could it be the gas valve controller? I have not checked for any voltage either.

Any feed back would be appreciated..

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-14, 08:21 AM
There are posts already about your furnace:
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ga...cks-out.html#b

See if you can locate a manual as it will usually have troubleshooting information.

searching on armstrong ultra sx 80 no pilot light, armstrong ultra sx 80 pilot light
gives lots of posts.

Is the pilot flame engulfing the thermocouple? On my furnace the pilot would come on but not be powerful enough to heat the thermocouple so the furnace would shut down. You can test this by using a barbecue lighter to heat the thermocouple when the pilot is ignited. If the furnace works as usual you might be able to clean the pilot light or call a technician to do it.

To clean the pilot light orifice you need a very thin wire like from a wire brush or a single strand of bicycle brake cable. You need to locate the orifice on your pilot light. Swish the wire in the orifice opening to clean it of combustion residue. The pilot flame should now be much bigger. You might search the internet for replacement parts for your furnace to see a picture of what the pilot light assembly and orifice look like.

Old 01-23-14, 06:39 PM
Thanks for the reply Geo8rge.. I had a tech come out and service the furnace.
He quickly identified the issue.. it was the Honeywell Smart Valve. I was charged 375 for part and labor.
Thank you.