Maximum Propane Distance

Old 01-21-14, 10:23 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Maximum Propane Distance

I'm wondering what the maximum distance propane can be run both horizontally and vertically from a tank?

I have a couple of buildings that have tanks off of the road, with the shortage, I can't get a full tank for the entire winter, and then there is the spring thaw to consider. I don't want a delivery truck stuck.

I know there are local laws to be considered, but there is no point in asking if I can, if it won't work...

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-14, 10:48 AM
Propane has sizing tables for distance but it's not as large as nat. gas. If you are increasing the distance by much, you may have to redo the underground in order to deliver the pressure needed. I'd consult a local hvac or propane delivery company as they should be certified to properly set it up. I had a customer that just moved his out a few yards and no adjustment at the tank or gas valve would keep the furnace from sooting.

Old 01-21-14, 11:10 AM
Group Moderator
Received 184 Votes on 171 Posts
What shortage?

What are you trying to do? Get propane to the tanks that a truck cannot reach? Get propane from tanks to somewhere else? How far do you need to run the gas and how many BTU/hr do you need to transport?

I have a considerable run from tank to my house. To deliver enough BTU of gas without requiring a crazy large pipe the regulator at the tank drops the pressure to 10psi for the long run to the house. Since it's transported at about 25 times the normal pressure it's able to travel further through "normal" sized pipe and still provide adequate flow. There are also 100 psi regulators that could probably send the gas over a longer distance

Old 01-22-14, 06:01 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
RE: Shortage

Here in Ohio, the news has been filled with warnings of a Propane shortage. The governor is even letting propane truckers run extra long shifts without adhering to the normal limits of hours behind the wheel...

Funny thing; when I called my supplier to order some fuel, they said they knew nothing of a shortage. I could have all I wanted.

Another media frenzy?

Old 01-23-14, 09:07 AM
Just read this morning that propane prices here in Kansas took a major jump overnight.

Old 01-23-14, 09:29 AM
Group Moderator
Received 184 Votes on 171 Posts
Long ago I figured out that propane prices spiked in winter. I bought a large enough tank so I can buy in summer when the prices are low and go to next summer without having to buy again. The large tank paid for itself in about 4-5 years.

Old 01-23-14, 09:32 AM
It jumped 90 cents overnight on tuesday. Feel sorry for the ones that have smaller tanks.
Propane prices skyrocket overnight | Local News - Home

Old 01-23-14, 10:01 AM
Propane Distance

I'm trying to prevent my delivery driver getting stuck on soft ground by bringing the tank closer to the paved road, the most ideal location is about 200 feet away and about 50 feet below the building.

Key words are everything, now that I have looked for a "distance table" I have all kinds of new info. It doesn't tell me if vertical distance is a factor. Is it?

Old 01-23-14, 10:48 AM
every foot matters in distance due to friction of the pipe and amount of btu needed to be delivered. Maybe you have already seen this but it has sizing recommends. Breaking down individual appliances needs in btu determines what needs to be teed once it enters the building.
http://www.lp-gasequipment.com/produ...0_p157-175.pdf

Natural gas or LP does not care about being horizontal or vertical. Just being sized properly to get there.
I would never recommend copper pipe, btw.

Last edited by tinmantu; 01-23-14 at 12:43 PM.