10 yr old Rudd Furnace keeps acting up

Old 01-21-14, 05:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
10 yr old Rudd Furnace keeps acting up

I live in a condo. My furnace is a forced air Rudd furnace that was installed in 2004 - about 4 years before I bought the place. About a year ago I got home from work and discovered that the furnace was no longer function. Called a repair guy and he couldn't figure out what the issue was. Thought it might be the flame sensor. So he cleaned that, it worked and things we fine.

Then the morning of December 23rd I heard the thermostat 'click' indicating that the furnace should start heating and nothing happened. Per some advice from the repair guy I turned off the electricity and let it sit. Still didn't work but it randomly started working a couple of hours later. Still had someone come and look at it. Once again, no idea of the cause so the guy cleaned the ignition and the flame sensor. Seemed to work fine.

This afternoon get home from work and once again it was working. Hoping against hope I turned the electricity off for about 10 minutes and when I turned it back on it immediately started working.

It does seem to happen during extended periods of sub-zero weather. I don't keep it overly warm - around 65 when I'm home and 60 when I'm sleeping or not home.

Any ideas what the issue might be?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-14, 05:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 271 Votes on 253 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You didn't leave a model number so we don't know for sure but does your furnace have a control board with a flashing LED on it ? It may be visible thru a sight glass in the blower access door.

That flashing LED will blink a trouble code which is listed on the inside of the blower door. Don't open the door until after you've read the code as opening the door turns the power off and clears the code.

Old 01-21-14, 05:46 PM
Unfortunately the previous owner didn't leave behind the manuals for the furnace. I did find a receipt for a tune up and it looks like the Model # is UGLH-05EAUER.

It does have a 3 light panel. The far left is amber colored and the other two are green. Since I turned the power off (and the furnace is currently working) the code wouldn't be there. But the first time it happened the repair guy said the error code didn't seem to be matching with what he was seeing since it didn't appear to be related to the flame sensor.

Old 02-23-14, 07:27 AM
Doing it again

And almost one month to the day it is doing it again. Here is more information.

Rudd Silhouette II Model UGLH-05EAUER
Serial number is FU5D302F1904764

Manufactured May 2004, installed July 2004.

As I mentioned in the original post, the thermostat will 'click' indicating the furnace should turn on but nothing happens. 4 blinks for an error code which suggests the pressure switch. However, there is a humidifier connected to the furnace. Aprilaire model 440 serial no 198365. I noticed that water appears to be leaking from some of the connections to the humidifier. Could this be contributing?

Old 02-24-14, 07:23 AM
1) Contact Ruud about getting the installation manual and the Owner manual and anything else they have.

2) Make sure the Thermostat is working. It is possible the battery died. Does the circuit actually close when the thermostat clicks? Post a picture of where the thermostat wire connects to the furnace and maybe some can tell you how to jump it to see if the Thermostat is the issue.

It is also possible the circuit breaker at the main box is malfunctioning, The switch connected to the access panel on the furnace. Or any of the other switches are faulty. While rare these are things a homeowner can deal with.

Make sure air can travel into the flames and out the chimney, nothing is blocked.

Make sure air cant ravel through the ductwork inside the house to and from the furnace.