Goodman furnace model gmpo 75-3

Old 01-25-14, 07:36 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Goodman furnace model gmpo 75-3

I have the above furnace that would not light, I found that the Hot surface ignitor was burnt out . I checked out the whole sustem ( heat exchanger0 ECT. FOR ANY PROBLEMS I checked the voltahe cycling to the igniter and it was 119.5 volts on then.05 off. I manually lit the furnace and it worked correctly. Purchased a new igniter (p/n B 1401018 s) and installed the part. fired up the unit and the igniter glowed so hot that it broke ( again) any suggestions ??

Old 01-25-14, 10:08 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I heard these things are extremely fragile, and not to be touched on the ceramic part at all.

Did it get bumped at all while positioning it to install it, or did you maybe touch it during installation? Will have to wait to see if a pro can comment on if this is something that happens once in a while with HSI's. Possibly a defect in it from manufacture.

Old 01-25-14, 02:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,328 Upvotes on 2,987 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

It may have gotten cracked when installed. They are extremely fragile.
Yes..... I have broken some while installing them.

Old 01-25-14, 04:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 39 Upvotes on 37 Posts
Since that furnace uses a separate flame sensor, you can go to a Silicon-Nitride ignitor instead of the Silicon-Carbide originally installed. The nitride ignitors are FAR more durable than the carbide ones. Here's some information fro Honeywell:
Honeywell Glowfly™ Universal Hot Surface Igniter - Honeywell ForwardThinking

The only time I install a carbide ignitor is if the furnace uses the ignitor to prove flame. Most of that type systen will not work with a nitride ignitor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: