humidifier and furnace problem

Old 01-25-14, 03:07 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
humidifier and furnace problem

I appear to have a problem with my furnace and whole home humidifier.
appears
I have a Tempstar high efficiency furnace (2 years old, builder installed) with a Carrier WBP humidifier (18 months old) installed by 3rd party.

Last heating season furnace would shut down for no reason. My home builder's hvac servicer tried to fix The problem by replacing various components but it appears they might have solved the problem by disconnecting the humidfier.

Could I be wrong or could it be that the serviceman didn't bother to reconnect the humidifir?

I confirm that there have been noproblems with the furnace with the exception of the dIscnctd humidfer.

Old 01-25-14, 04:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 33 Votes on 31 Posts
Whomever disconnected the humidifier did you a favor. They are one of the worst things to ever happen to a furnace & ducts. They create an ideal environment for mold & often cause the furnace &/or ducts to rust out.

If you want extra humidity in the house, I suggest a free standing humidifier.

Old 01-26-14, 05:18 PM
G
1) Find the manual online or at home and read the troubleshooting section. Is there a test setting? There is likely some annual maintenance and cleaning issues the manual will hopefully explain.

2) Is the water valve open and sending water to the humidifier?

3) Some humidifiers have overflow prevention sensors, maybe it tripped for some reason.

4) Follow the wire from the humidifier back to the furnace. Does it appear to be connected?

I guess then you might contact the technician or call carrier tech support. If you feel up to it, the installation manual would let you check if the wires are in the right places.

Old 01-26-14, 06:53 PM
M
Thanks geo8rge. The unit is disconnected. My question is would hooking it back up lead to problems with the furnace?

Is it possible that the humidifier is drawing too much voltage causing the furnace to shut down?

Old 01-26-14, 08:01 PM
G
Post a link to the exact humidifier you have.

If it is a bypass humidifier it uses almost no power to open can close the water valve.

If it has a motor in it you will need to look at the specs to see how many watts it uses.

You should talk to the person who serviced it and ask why it was disconnected. Get the installation and user manuals they will likely give you the info you need.

As far as the advisability of a humidifier on your furnace. Furnace humidifiers automatically replenish their water supply. My guess is like 10+ gallons a day. So I am happy with the one I have.

Old 01-27-14, 08:57 PM
M
It is a bypass humidifier, it's here:
Product - Humidifiers - HUMCCWBP

I spoke with the service person's company and while they don't know exactly why it wasn't reconnected it might have been due to:

1) not originally installed by his company (this is a new home builder's furnace contractor)
2) assumed that the humidifier was causing the shut downs and disconnected it because it wasn't original
3) disconnected it because it didn't have an appropriate transformer.

I checked 3 out aNd discovered that there isn't a transformer (it's a 24 volt system) and this maybe causing the voltage problem.

I can't find a proper install manual to see if a transformer is needed though.

Old 01-29-14, 09:57 AM
G
"I can't find a proper install manual to see if a transformer is needed though."

Your humidifier probably works the same as any other bypass humidifier. So you could look for any (aprilaire or honeywell) installation video or installation manual and see what needs to be connected where.

It is only a guess but the solenoid on all these things probably is low voltage meaning 24V.

My 1993 furnace control board did not have all the features to support a humidifier so the technician install a current sensing switch. Your furnace many need one too.

Alternatively hire the original install to put things back the way they were. I have trouble believing the electro magnet coil in your humidifier valve drew so much current it shut down your whole furnace.

You should also consider Grady's advice about the down side to sending moisture laden air through your heating vents. But a furnace humidifier is very convenient. I have not seen a stand alone humidifier that could compare.

Old 01-29-14, 12:04 PM
R
I don't see too much of a big deal with humidifiers. If they're installed on the recommended supply's side, the hot air will absorb all of the moisture anyway. I can see potential problems when they are installed on the return side though.

Old 01-29-14, 12:45 PM
G
"the hot air will absorb all of the moisture anyway"

I think Grady's problem is in old houses where the old steel ducts are un-insulated. Moist air hitting a cold metal pipe would coat the pipe with water atleast until it heated up.

Old 01-29-14, 05:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 33 Votes on 31 Posts
With modern furnaces, the supply ducting is often not hot enough to carry the moisture until it exits the register. This is particularly true if the humidifier stays on the enitre time the fan is running instead of shutting down when the burner does. Uninsulated duct is, without a doubt, worse but I have cut open R-8 ductboard to find massive amounts of mold. Once the humidifier went away, there was no more mold problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: