Gas furnace fan doesn't turn on and makes hissing sound

Old 01-26-14, 05:27 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gas furnace fan doesn't turn on and makes hissing sound

Hi - My furnace fan will work for a period of time, but at some point will stop turning on with the system. There will be a hissing sound coming from the furnace. I flip the fan switch off, wait a second, then turn it back on and the furnace will turn on. Any ideas of what the issue could be?

Old 01-26-14, 05:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,884 Upvotes on 3,481 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Which fan does this...... the little one up top, the draft inducer or the big one in the bottom ?

Don't ever recall hearing a hissing in the past. Furnace noises are very hard to diagnose.

A make and model of the furnace would probably be helpful.

Old 01-26-14, 05:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
It could be a capacitor, fan motor, or fan relay. It's really hard to tell without being there or at least being able to hear it. If you have a volt meter & know how to use it, you can check to see if the fan is getting power.

Old 01-26-14, 06:45 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you. I have no idea what fan it is, I just flip the switch on the front of the furnace. The heat exchanger was fixed in 2011, before I owned the house.......could this be the issue? It sounds like a hiss or maybe just a stream of air, but the fan doesn't turn on.

Old 01-27-14, 09:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
ej577, can you post a few pictures of the furnace so we have some idea as to what we are trying to help you with?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: