Changing the circulating water in the oil burner lines?

Old 01-26-14, 10:55 PM
Changing the circulating water in the oil burner lines?

What kind of maintenance is needed for the water in our home oil burner? does the water get stagnant and dirty? I bought a cleaner to add to the system. But I was thinking I would rather swap out the old water with new in the springtime.
Thoughts and advise ?? thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-14, 08:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Do NOTHING to the water. One of the worst things you can do to a hot water system is add fresh water. I've worked on hundreds of systems where the water is 50+ years old.

Old 01-29-14, 06:01 PM
How about a cleaning solution?

I was told to add a cleaning solution additive?
What about when you need to drain some of the water to do some maintenance on some pipe fittings? Dont you have to add new water then? Is that the exception? Or the obvious?

Old 01-29-14, 06:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The only time water should be drained from or added to a hot water heating system is if such draining or addition is absolutely needed such as when making a repair or addition to the system.

ALL fresh water is aggesive &/or deposit forming. In a relatively short time in the system that water has done all the damage it can do & becomes 'neutral'. One of the biggest culprits is oxygen. It will damage the metal in a system particularly the iron in the boiler. In large steam systems they add an oxygen scavenging chemical to give the oxygen something to easier to attack than the metal. Another bad one is carbon dioxide. CO2 dissolved in water creates a weak acid which also attacks the metal.