Carrier heater igniter will not work

Old 01-29-14, 06:07 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Carrier heater igniter will not work

Hello, I have a Carrier Crusader heater and the igniter will not get hot. I just replaced the igniter with a brand new one thinking that was the issue. When I turn the thermostat on the blower starts to blow and that's it. I get a LED code of one fast blink followed by 2 slower blinks. Below is the information on the heater.

Product: 58DHC095---101JC
Model Number: 58DHC095-JC
Series: 100
Serial: 2090A06759
Input: 115.000

Heater runs on propane

Thanks for any info you might be able to provide!

Old 01-29-14, 06:56 PM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
If by blower you mean the inducer blower in the upper section of your furnace, check to see that there is a small hose coming off the blower housing. It goes to a pressure switch. Be sure that the hose is clear and that there is no crud in the nipple on the blower. The blower creates a small suction which should trip the pressure switch, That will allow the HSI to come on. Also check that there is nothing blocking your exhaust vent such as a bird or wasp nest - or even a snow drift (in some areas).

Old 01-29-14, 07:03 PM
J
No.. it's the main blower that comes on. The inducer blower does not come on. there is a clear hose and it seems to be free of any debris. The heater was working when we went to bed but I woke about 3 am and the main blower was all that was working.

Old 01-29-14, 07:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,897 Upvotes on 3,494 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

A code 12 will be the blower motor running for 90 seconds after power is restored if the thermostat is calling for heat. After that the unit should retry to light. if it doesn't....... DON'T open door to look at code..... look thru sight glass so that the code doesn't get erased.

Name:  codes.jpg
Views: 925
Size:  54.0 KB

Old 01-29-14, 07:33 PM
J
Ok... I put everything back together, turned off the thermostat and turned the power on to the heater. I then turned the thermostat back on and the inducer motor started up this time. However the igniter does not get hot and the inducer motor continues to run. I have no sight glass to view the LED light I have to open the panel to see it.

Old 01-29-14, 07:39 PM
J
Ok.. I shut the power off again as well as turned off the thermostat. Since I don't have a sight glass I removed the panel and held the switch down, the one that the panel rest against. I got 3 quick blinks and one long bling on the LED. Is that a code 31? If so what does that mean?

Old 01-29-14, 07:43 PM
Group Moderator
That would probably mean that at some point the newer style board with the diagnostic LED was installed in that furnace but the installer never bothered to put in the sight glass.

In the link below is the short manual for the updated board. There is a system test step shown on page two. That will allow you to test the igniter in circuit.

You may need to come up with a way to hold the blower door switch in for testing..... otherwise you'll have to hold it until the code logs.

xpedio carrier groups public documents techlit 2F58dhc-6si.pdf

Old 01-29-14, 07:49 PM
J
I believe that the circuit board has been replaced.

Old 01-29-14, 07:54 PM
Group Moderator
Yeah....... a lazy installer put it in or he forgot his hole saw that day.

Did you at least get the trouble codes sticker ?

Old 01-29-14, 08:07 PM
J
Yes, it's on there. Going to try the self test..

Old 01-29-14, 08:20 PM
J
Tried the self test. I turned the thermostat and gas off, held the door switch down and held a wire on the TEST/TWIN & Com 24v terminal. all it did was flash real fast, the inducer motor never came on so I ended the test.

Any ideas?

Old 01-29-14, 08:45 PM
Group Moderator
Doesn't sound right. Have you tried getting the furnace to fire just holding the door switch ?
The inducer should start and run and then a code should come up.

Old 02-03-14, 05:37 PM
J
I'm back with a resolution to the problem as I hate leaving threads without a solution. It turned out to be the reset switch that is mounted in the main blower housing. We just reset it and the igniter started working just fine!

Thanks for all the assistance!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: