ford boiler black smoke and soot coming out

Old 02-04-14, 01:05 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
ford boiler black smoke and soot coming out

ford boiler cleaned points and head on boiler. boiler starts runs for a while then every once and while maybe once a day boiler starts rumberling and shaking and pouring out black smoke soot ? also I have black smoke coming out of my chimney please help thanks timmy

Old 02-04-14, 03:13 PM
S
Received 141 Upvotes on 133 Posts
That rumbling and black is unburned oil because of a delay in your ignition.
On a call for heat the oil and the spark are suppose to meet at the same time. If the oil comes before the spark what you're getting is the result.
After startup the rumbling and black smoke goes away, correct.

You've got ignition problems. Either your transformer or your electrodes are possibly the problem.
Eventually it will get worse and not start at all.

It should be looked at.

Good Luck,

Old 02-04-14, 07:08 PM
T
Received 31 Upvotes on 25 Posts
Sounds like it needs a major tune up. Call a tech to service it. The black smoke means it's running very rich which is also going to clog up your heat exchanger.

Old 02-06-14, 11:25 AM
T
oil burner comes on and runs for hours. then once or twice a day after running for hours it starts rumbling and smoke comes out. I shut it off for awhile and it starting working again. Is this the sa me problem? please help spott Thanks timmy PS Problem started when I cleaned oil sprayer head and adjusted the electrodes they moved when I removed the nozzle head and cleaned it and the oil filter inside How do I know where to move the electrodes ? closer to the head or in front of it where the oil comes out ? please help Thanks timmy

Old 02-06-14, 12:05 PM
T
Received 31 Upvotes on 25 Posts
Your not supposed to clean the nozzle, your supposed to replace them along with the regular maintenance. The electrodes must be placed at a pretty precise location for proper ignition, but your telling us that it ignites and runs so that should not be the issue at hand. It's the oil spray pattern and air/fuel mixture that seems to wonder and to me that points to the nozzle.
When was the last time a full service (tune up) was performed on the burner by a qualified tech?

Old 02-06-14, 02:10 PM
S
Tim,
As Tom said, you must replace the nozzle. They are disposable. They are made of brass and from the constant 100 psi or more pressure on the inside they wear out and the small hole gets worn and they start to spray all over the place.
As far as your electrodes go, there are specific measurements to follow depending on the burner you have.
There is a little wiggle room and since your burner is lighting you must be pretty close. Never put them in front of the nozzle though because oil will hit them and will not let the burner fire.
They must be spaced close enough to complete the spark and close enough to the oil spray to light the fire without getting wet.or shorting out against any metal.

Again that rumbling could be unburned oil or an air problem. You could try adjusting the combustion air settings.

The first thing to do though is replace that nozzle.

Good Luck,

Old 02-06-14, 04:50 PM
T
how do I adjust combustion air setting? I always have black smoke coming out of chimney? I would like to fix this problem . Will the nozzle cause this? If I move the electrodes up a little closer to the nozzle will it fix the problem?

Old 02-06-14, 05:16 PM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
If I recall, Fords came with the Carlin burner.Don't mess with the air adj. unless you have test equipment and know what your doing. That's a top clean-out I think and you have to remove the smoke pipe and top panel if you want to clean it.Look up the adjustment for the Carlin electrodes.Would have to have the assembly in my hand to be spot on.Better to look it up.

Old 02-06-14, 06:31 PM
S
Tim,
If your getting black smoke all the time, your fuel/air mixture needs adjusting and it should be done with a combustion analyzer. Although it's good to be able to do things yourself my honest response in your case would be to have someone come in for a tuneup.

This would include cleaning the accumulated soot, which you need a special vac for. They would change the nozzle, filter, pump screen, if you have one, and set your burner to the proper specs.
The longer you burn smokey the more soot you will accumulate until you furnace gets plugged.

Believe me, in your case it would be money well spent. You can watch and ask questions and take care of it from there.

It's very difficult to answer these questions without being there when it comes to dimensions.
If you have a book or you can Google Carlin burner and see what's there. You will have to know your model number. They do make different models also.
You do have a Carlin burner which is a different set up from Beckett. All burners have their own specs to follow.

Old 02-09-14, 07:26 PM
T
spott, thanks for responding to help me you helped a lot . the problem was the nozzle head . I adjusted and cleaned the electrodes to the carlin specs. and changed the head. I also had to buy medal tape to cover the intake flapper above the boiler. the hole from the smoke was to big. sucking to much air. so I retaped and left a small hole for air. A service tec came in 2 years ago and broke the flapper and covered with tape? Thought you want to know all thanks for your help boiler is running ggreat. Thanks TIM

Old 02-10-14, 02:47 PM
S
Tim,
I'm glad things are running fine. If that intake flapper is your draft regulator you can replace easily..
That's not an air intake.that automatically controls the draft when set right and can be very important depending on your draft conditions.

Just a thought.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: