New central heat and air

Old 03-03-01, 11:58 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Getting bids for a new central heat and air system, some questions came up:

One company said freon is being phased out and "puron" is new and better. Good idea?

One company wants to sell me an air cleaner that seems to need a lot of servicing. I hate servicing. Might it be worth it for allergies anyway?

One company said I need a new panel because I have 50 amps and need 100. The other company said I have 70 amps and don't need a new panel. The company that said I do sent an electrician who said I do. I have a free 220 circuit breaker that was used for an electric stove. (There also used to be an electric water heater. I don't know if they use 220.)

One company wants to install Carrier, which I've heard of. The other one wants to install Bryant, which I haven't heard of. Is there a difference in quality?

One company wants 10% down, balance on completion. The other company wants more than half on delivery of equipment and the rest on start up of equipment. What does start up mean? Doesn't California law say they can only ask for 10% down?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-01, 12:22 PM
fjrachel
Visiting Guest
Carrier and Bryant are the same: United Technology Products
They are mirror images and quality is about the same. Both can be purchased with Pureon(R-410a) or R-22 freon. R-22 freon manufacturing will cease in 2010. The Pureon(Brand name) is safe for the enviornment. Don't know about the 10% thing on heating & A/C equipment. Start up is exactly what it says, starting and checking the new equipment. Trust the electrician on whether or not your panel can handle the type of system you are installing.

Old 03-03-01, 12:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Does start up mean at the completion of the job?

Old 03-03-01, 12:51 PM
Visiting Guest
heat

Yes start up is when the job is complete and the equipment is started and tested.
You can get an electrostatic air cleaner that is very efficient and doesn't require a lot of maintenence.

Old 03-04-01, 11:24 PM
Visiting Guest
>>One company said freon is being phased out and "puron" is new and better. Good idea?

Freon will be available for the life of the new unit.
Puron hasn't been around for long and the cost is a lot more than freon. Better than freon? I doubt it.
My advice is to stick with freon for the time being.