The main blower on my gas furnace won't shut off

Old 02-22-14, 05:29 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The main blower on my gas furnace won't shut off

I have an old Rheem furnace that has just recently started acting up. Originally the problem was that the fan inducer motor was giving a humming sound, then the thermostat was going completely off & there was a burning smell. I replaced the fan inducer motor & both relays. When I turned the furnace back on it went through a couple cycles just fine but now the blower motor won't turn off when it's supposed to. I would think that the problem was in the relays if I haven't just replaced them. Any ideas?

Old 02-22-14, 05:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,405 Votes on 1,300 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

It's very possible that you have a high heat safety stat tripping. When that happens it can disconnect the 24vac to the thermostat and on some units the blower fan will run to cool down the overheated furnace and to notify you of a problem if the safety doesn't reset.

This would most likely not be a problem caused by an inducer issue but by the main blower.
You may have an airflow problem due to a blower issue, dirty air filter, blocked return vent(s), too many closed supply registers, dirty/clogged A/C coil.

Old 02-23-14, 05:12 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you for the response. But now the situation has changed. Now the blower won't turn on anymore. Last time when I tried to run the furnace I could hear the humming sound of the blower trying to start & then the thermostat went off & the burning smell was back.
So I assume the blower was originally part of the problem. So should I just replace it? Or it can be fixed? If to replace then I don't even know where to look for it because it's an old furnace & they don't sell them anymore.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: