Need advice on replacing furnace, what type and issues I might have

Old 02-24-14, 11:30 PM
H
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice on replacing furnace, what type and issues I might have

I have a 900 sq ft mobile home the exterior has vinyl siding and a shingled roof The interior has drywall and some paneling the floors are Laminate expect for the 2 bedrooms are carpet. All the duct work is under the floor and the crawl space underneath is insulated, The current furnace is 14 years old & electric and is 56,000 BTUs The home is all electric and sets on a rented lot in a park.

Right at the moment I am considering 4 options

Replace with a new electric furnace which would be easiest and I could do myself. Looking the furnace it is like most others I have seen in a mobile home It just sits on the duct work and the heat is forced down

Replace with a wood stove which I may be able do myself but I would have to find out about my insurance and the state or county regs, Home is in eastern Ohio

Replace with a propane furnace Since it would be a new set up I am not sure what is involved and if it would possible to do my self I am assuming it could get expensive Have to have a furnace, tank run line from tank to furnace Have to tie into existing duct work and vent it outside somehow.

Install a heat pump which would be the most expensive since I know nothing about them and what is involved in setting 1 up

The plan right now is decided in next month which way to go and to get every thing done by September. Like a lot of folks money is definitely a concern. But need to do something cost of heating this home has got way out of control

Thanks

Old 02-25-14, 07:27 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The heat pump will be the cheapest to operate.

Old 02-25-14, 09:13 AM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with airman. The price of propane right now is crazy. Heat pump is the way to go. It sets up the same as a split system. For a 900 sq ft home you are looking at 1 1/2 to to 2 tons.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: