Changed Blower motor on Furnace new motor does blowout heat like old one.

Old 02-25-14, 07:02 PM
N
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changed Blower motor on Furnace new motor does blowout heat like old one.

Hello everyone,

I have an older furnace, a 1980 Williamson Gas Saver II model. I have been in the house 7 yrs and never had a problem with it, changed filters and performed regular maintenance on it. Last week I woke up to a glue/burning smell coming from the registers. Went downstairs, blower motor was red hot and the furnace would shut off. This is not a direct drive blower and the old motor was a Dayton #5k918c 1/3 hp 6.8 amps.

Got new motor, a century motor from a local motor shop model # GF2034, 6.6 amps, hook it up was working fine but notice after 5-10 minutes the furnace kick off. Looked at the fan & limit switch and the limit switch was tripping. Usually that means furnace is not getting enough return air. I double checked everything and swap filters but it kept doing the same thing. I hook the old motor up everything fired up and ran till the motor got hot again.

I was convinced the century motor did have enough power in it. I spoke with grainger tech support, of course my old motor was no longer made but I spoke of my problem and he mentioned to get a 1/2hp for better rpms. Model # 6k589 1/2 hp 7.6 amps. So being confident , I installed this motor and bam same thing happens, limit switch is getting tripped and then furnace recycles.

I again hook up old motor and everything runs fine until it overheats. What am I missing here. It seem like a simple motor replacement issue ? Any help would be great here as I am on space heater mode until fixed. Thanks!

Old 02-25-14, 10:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,161 Likes on 2,840 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Whether it's 1/3hp or 1/2hp....... RPM's are RPM's.
How about direction ? The blower wheels are only effective turning the forward direction.

Old 02-25-14, 10:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
I do not like getting a replacement motor with a lower amp rating. but...

Did you check the motor rotation?
The Dayton belt drive motors that I get from Grainger are reversible.

You are too fast for me PJ

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: