No Heat! Please Help!!

Old 02-27-14, 09:51 PM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Heat! Please Help!!

First, Excuse my plea for help. After a weekend of 60 degree weather we are getting into single digits tonight and my furnace has decided to stop working. I'm unsure of when it happened, but when I arrived home tonight I noticed that my t-stat said the house was 60 when we never allow it to get that cold, but the blower was running. I put my hand infront of the vent to feel cold air coming out.

I went to my furnace and noticed that it was not lit, but the blower was still running. I restarted my t-stat (nest) and flipped the kill switch at the furnace, but it still is not working. I thought maybe the Nest might have went bad, so I ran out and bought cheap Honeywell, but no luck. As soon as I flip the power back the blower starts to run and continuously run which leads me to believe something is definitely wrong.

The shame of it is, I had an appointment on Monday to completely redo my HVAC system, but had to reschedule for next week due to a potential snow storm. I'm going to call the company in the morning, but in the mean time what can I do?

I have a Ruud Gas furnace from 1995 to which I'm unsure of the model number. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 02-27-14, 09:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,180 Likes on 2,855 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Without the model it's tough to give you exact advice. The model number is on an ID tag on the side wall near the burner behind the access door.

Does your furnace have a control board with a blinking LED ?
Was your nest still working... lighting up ?
Many furnaces will turn on the blower fan if one of the safety switches open.

Old 02-27-14, 10:11 PM
M
The model is UGDG-10EAMER.

The nest was still functioning as usual. It would turn red as if it was calling for heat, but the furnace had no change.

Old 02-27-14, 10:19 PM
Group Moderator
I see in the parts list the mention of an integrated control board. That board is in the bottom with the blower. Do you have a little sight glass in the door ? If you do... look in and see if you see an LED blinking. If yes..... try to count the flashes.

Old 02-27-14, 10:22 PM
M
Does the tstat have to be in heat mode to see the LEDS? I think I may have to expose the circuit board to view the light.

Old 02-27-14, 10:26 PM
Group Moderator
You can open the blower door to locate the board and LED. The LED will not be flashing when you open the door since that removes power and putting door back in restores power but clears the codes. After you close the door the LED should start blinking. Furnace may try to start.

When you have the door off you should see a list of codes posted on the door.

Last edited by PJmax; 02-27-14 at 11:11 PM.
Old 02-27-14, 10:55 PM
M
Well things have just gotten worse in my opinion. There is no real way to view the LEDS with out removing the access plate to the board. I unscrewed it and went to hold in the door button to trick it into thinking the door was on. At first nothing happened. Then I giggled the wires and the blower started to power up.

I let it run for a few minutes, but no flashing LEDS. I just had 2 solid green and an amber LED that was not lit at all.

Old 02-27-14, 11:10 PM
Group Moderator
I believe 2 solid greens means "standby" Try setting your t'stat to call for heat.

Old 02-27-14, 11:46 PM
F
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
You may have a problem with the wiring between the thermostat and the furnace. To check you can do the following.
1. Turn off the power to the furnace.
2. Remove the access cover and note what colors of the thermostat cable are connected to what terminals. Most common are Red to R, White to W, Green to G and Yellow to Y. There may be some other wires as well and if so note their colors and terminal designation.
3. Remove the wire from the R terminal and tape or otherwise insulate the end. Do the same with the white wire.
4. Connect a piece of wire from the R terminal to the W terminal and replace the cover.
5. Turn the power on and see if the furnace now fires as it should.

If the above works you can use it this way ONLY long enough to heat up the house and then shut off the power. This trick completely removes the thermostat and wiring from the operation so the furnace will continue to run well beyond the normal stopping temperature.

To test the wiring you can also do this at the thermostat by connecting the red and white wires (or whatever wires are connected to the R and W terminals in the furnace.) If it works by connecting the wires at the thermostat (thermostat disconnected) then the thermostat is at fault. If it does not work when making the connections at the thermostat but it does work when making the connections at the furnace then the interconnecting cable is at fault.

Old 02-28-14, 10:17 AM
M
Well the tech just left and it was the limit switch. He tapped it and boom fixed my issue in minutes. Then asked for the service call fee lol.

Turns out my filters were extremely dirty which cause the switch to open.

Wish I would have tried tapping it. Oh well. At least it's fixed.

Old 02-28-14, 07:34 PM
Group Moderator
Well... you learned a lesson..... keep the filters changed.

Glad everything is ok..... thanks for the update.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: