Burners not lighting

Old 02-28-14, 01:16 PM
U
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Burners not lighting

Last year, I had the soft lockout problem with my 58PAV and cleaning the flame sensor fixed it. Since then, I've been interested in other tips to keep the furnace running in good condition and there seem to be some good ones here.

I am having a different problem this year and haven't seen specific advice. The flame does not reliably cross over from the 1st burner closest to the ignitor to the 5th burner at the flame sensor. It will either get there weakly and momentarily but more often only to the 3rd burner. The lit burners will burn at full force until the control system shuts off the gas which is a few more seconds.

I see advice on this thread to clean the burner faces and will do that. With what? Anything else to clean?

Also, there is advice to clean "all ground connections". Is there a straightforward to identify those?

Thanks.

Old 02-28-14, 05:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
You probably had the same problem last year. You cleaned your flame sensor rod but usually the sensor is setup to check the burner farthest from the igniter. So since the last burner wasn't lighting correctly.... you'd see a flame sensor code issue.

There are slots in the burner called carryover ports. They get clogged with rust. They can sometimes be cleaned with a feeler gauge. Usually it's more effective to remove the burner assembly and clean and blow out all ports.

The grounds are the screws that hold the burners in the furnace as well as the screws in the control box.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: