Strange heating problem

Old 03-01-14, 05:09 PM
B
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange heating problem

Recently, I noticed that my master bedroom have no heat. We use radiant heating and all floors except for the master bedroom's is working. No matter what position the thermostat is in, the master bedroom's floors are cold. I had technicians come to look at the problems with no success. The motorized valve for the water to the master bedroom was changed twice because of gears inside slipping and breaking. Yesterday, another technician came in to replace the valve but the floors are still cold after one day. We tested the motor by turning up and down the thermostat and the motor responds. The technician also let out some air from the system by the way. This is really frustrating and I spent hundreds of dollars on this problem.

Attached Images   
Old 03-01-14, 06:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Is the burner firing when the zone valve opens? Is the circulator running? Are you sure the valve is opening? Any chance of a pipe being frozen?

Old 03-02-14, 08:11 PM
B
The zone valves with their rooms on the left side of picture 1 works fine. The furnace is always very warm so there pipe cannot be frozen. The cause of the problem must lie after the pipe joint to my room. I think that although the motor is turning, the valve that lets water to my room might be jammed or blocked?

Old 03-03-14, 07:06 AM
S
Try taking the actuator off the valve body. I think you push down and turn it counterclockwise. Then you can move the valve stem up and down. This is a normally open valve, so pulling the stem up will open it. Then see if you get heat to the bedroom.

Old 03-03-14, 07:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Even if the boiler is warm all the time, there could be a frozen pipe somewhere between the boiler & the room in question if the pipes go thru a crawl space.

Old 03-03-14, 09:07 AM
G
Does it heat when the weather is warmer?

Do you know if fluid is flowing? Shouldn't the fluid be water with some antifreeze?

Is it possible there is an uninsulated section of tubing where either the water is freezing and blocking the fluid or the fluid is losing all its heat because it is exposed to cold air too long?

Old 03-03-14, 09:33 AM
D
First and foremost, is the master on its very own circuit, or is another room on that circuit?

Second, has the master's heat worked previously in weather that is just as cold as it is now (this year, hopefully)?

Leave the heat off for awhile in your master and one other room that you know with certainty is getting heat. Then, if your "out" and "return" lines are labeled for those two rooms on the headers, as far away from the header that you can touch, note the temperature on the two outlet lines by feel and then the two return lines. Now have someone turn up the heat in those rooms and note the above temperatures.

Old 03-04-14, 10:19 PM
B
I'm pretty sure all the pipes to the master bedroom is insulated and is not frozen. The master bedroom's heating worked every winter until now. I had another repair guy com in to fix the ball valve, but the room is still cold! The master bedroom has it's own circuit and heating- independent from the other rooms.

Old 03-08-14, 08:29 AM
G
"The master bedroom has it's own circuit and heating- independent from the other rooms."

Does it have a separate boiler?
Or do you mean it has its own thermostat?

Can you test the temperature of any part of the circuit the master bedroom is on? Is any part of the floor being heated by the master bedroom circuit warm?

Does the master bedroom boiler have an error light display? Look at the manual do any of the error lights tell you if heating fluid is not flowing?

Old 03-08-14, 02:20 PM
S
Received 120 Likes on 114 Posts
G,
Try bleeding that zone until all the air is out.
If the valve works and there is no air, the last thing is frozen pipe.
Run water through that zone to bleed. If no water comes out, you have a frozen pipe somewhere.

If you do, put the valve on manual, turn your t-stat down. By doing this every time another zone calls it will send water to this zone also and help it to thaw.

When heat is restored set the valve for normal operation.
All it takes to freeze a pipe is a cold draft or frigid condition on one spot.
The room might be warm or the boiler but it doesn't matter.

Good Luck,

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: